Advice from the EZ Go gods please.

Roseaukaine

I had the chance to buy a cart from the brother-in law for $1K. It was garage-kept, has a windshield, top, and a backseat. He has three of them, so this one has been sitting around for awhile with no maintenance.

It has a nice paint job, but the wiring in it looks like it needs replacing. I have been reading the forums for about a week and know that I can get good advice here.

It is an EZ Go TXT, Model F1197. According to the BIL, he replaced the stock 3.5hp motor with a 5hp motor in 03. Presently, the batteries take no charge at all.....the connections are badly corroded. The cart does not move, but there is a constant clicking sound......probably bad connections.

One of the support braces for the top is cracked on the rear-passenger side. Can I get a replacement part, or do I have to fabricate something?

I would like to lift it about 6" with larger tires, and use it on the family property (large), which has some areas of inclines.

Would the larger 5hp engine in this cart be adequate with the larger tires if I change all of the wiring to 4g?

What would be the first thing that you checked out before spending $2K on a lift kit, controller, ect?

Was $1K a good deal?....I know ya'll like pics, but I can't seem to post them.
dazed053.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

The cart is a 97 TXT. I'd say it was a pretty good deal.

Depending on how old the batteries are and how long the cart has been sitting you may be able to revive the batteries. The carts charger needs to see around 28 volts before it will turn on when you plug it into the cart. First check to make sure the plates are covered. If the batteries need water fill them until the plates are just covered with distilled water. Clean up all the battery connections then charge them separately with a 6 volt charger or in pairs with a 12 volt charger until the voltage gets to 5+ volts per battery. Then try the carts charger. If they take a charge fill them to the proper level with distilled water after the carts charger shuts off. If the cables look bad your best bet is replace them all.

Seeing how the cart has a 5 HP motor you should use 4 guage cables. I'd suggest HD buss bars in the forward and reverse switch also. How the motor will handle the bigger tires will depend on the type of motor but chances are good it will do fine. Do you know what brand and model the motor is? There should be a tag on the motor with the specs that tells what RPM the motor is.

You can get the roof supports at any EZGO dealer. I think I have some here, if you can't find one let me know.

Roseaukaine

Thanks for the reply! I followed your advice and it looks like the motor is a 3hp...not 5. Below are the specs on the motor:

Mnf - D&D Motor Systems
Model - 170-500-0001
Date of mnf - 02
RPM - 2720
Current - 78/10
Class - H
HP - 3

I don't know what I should do at this point....the cart is in pretty decent shape except all of the cables need to be replaced, as corrosion has really taken it's toll.

I don't want to spend too much on a cart that will not meet my needs (if I can't lift it and put larger tires).

Maybe I should try to sell it and just buy something that will meet my needs. I have 2 atv's for heavy work.....the cart would be just for riding around the neighborhood and on designated trails, but some of the trails are on moderate inclines.

Thoughts??????

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It looks like a solid cart. By looking at the one pic I can see it's a DCS cart. I would say the motor will handle 22" tires with no problem. D&D builds very good motors. The stock DCS controllers are a little weak but if you plan on upgrading it that's not a problem. The roof supports aren't stock, they came with the rear seat kit. So you would have to find out what type of seat it is and get a support from the company or have the cracked support tig welded (It looks like a M&M seat).

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
You got a great looking cart for a damn good price. The motor should be just fine, most people have the stock motor on their lifted carts. Your brother-in-law gave you a good deal and you should run with it. You would be surprised at how much it would cost you to get another cart as far along as this one is already.

Welcome to the fourm.

Roseaukaine

Thanks for the vote of confidence
biggrin.gif

For $1K I thought I would give it a try......heck, he even gave me a rain cover (the kind where you can drive) that had never been used before.

I tore into it today and removed the batteries. The frame is a little rusted due to corrosion, but appears stout.

Here is my plan....the wife wants it for halloween night, so my priority is:

6 new trojan pacer batteries (best I could find locally); A complete set of 4g wiring ($125).

I need to re-wire the lights, so I figure I'll just put a 12V marine battery in there, run a simple switch, and go with it like that
wacko.gif

Later, I plan on replacing the FNR switch with a HD one, and maybe a HD solenoid.

The lift, tires, and camo will have to wait until I recover from the cost.

Thanks for the helpful information so far!! I won't be too far away from the forum for a long time
thumbup.gif
!

fabbinman

Why not just wire the lights to two (2) of the batteries in your pack? you really don't need the "extra" 12v battery.

gornoman

No reason to upgrade the F/R switch on a DCS cart as the direction control happens inside the controller. The existing F/R switch is composed of low-current microswitches, not high-current buss bars as in a Fleet/Series cart.

A HD solenoid won't hurt anything.

DSC02781.jpg

YIKES!

Roseaukaine

I know...the paint job is patriotic, and I really am struggling with the decision to camoflage it....If I do, it will be the absolute last thing I do to it, because it is a very nice paint job.

THANKS for the heads-up on the F/R switch
thumbup.gif
!!

I have been revewing just about every post, so I just figured I needed a HD one.

I have ALOT to learn....but it is fun........ as long as my mistakes are not too costly!!

Thank you ALL for your help and advise!!

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
That makes it sound like you are just going to disappear. Your not one of those "flash in the pan" posters are ya?

Roseaukaine

Absolutely not
tongue.gif
!! You guys have too much info to share.....I'm just getting started!! I bought the batteries and cables today.......will try and see if it all works tomorrow. To be continued.............

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
What kind of batteries did you get? Where did you get them? Did you get a deal? Does your wife know you paid out these big bucks?
rotflmao.gif

Roseaukaine

"Pacers" is the name of the batteires I bought. I was told that they were manufactured by Trojan. It was either those or the ones from Batteries Plus/Sam's Club/NAPA. The batteries say 105 min at 75 amps.

The batteries, a full set of 4g cables, and a battery holder cost me $745
unsure.gif

Roseaukaine

Oh....the wife wanted it for Halloween, so I was in the clear to get it up and running.........until I told her how much it would cost for a "quality" lift kit and tires
tongue.gif

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
All things in time. Hope this gets the cart running well for you.
You know, a non lifted cart is not the end of the world. A nice set of hub caps and things look very good. Look at Gorno's cart. I don't think he has a lift on it and it looks great. There are more good looking non lifted carts than there are lifted. I do not think I would have lifted my G1 except I had the tires and wheels and wanted to use them. Your cart is very good looking now.

Roseaukaine

Got it up and running! She goes 18mph on my GPS. I am recharging her now and cleaning her up a bit. A little lube and grease here and there and I do believe she's a winner!!!

So far I'm into her for $1785.......I figure with a lift and tires she'll cost me around $3000 total.........until I go for the 48 volt system
yes.gif

Nothing compared to what you guys have....for sure!!