Admiral MOT-B1 Motor (Serial)

njohnson60

Replaced Stock Motor with this and trying to figure out how to get Medalist cart to go faster. Want to add a 12 v battery to go from 36v to 48 v possibly.

Does anyone know the max armature current for this motor? I believe it can be used for 36v or 48v with Navitas 440a Controller that is set to configuration for 48v source power.

New to this forum so thanks for all of your help guys. Its appreciated.

njohnson60

Not sure what you are talking about. I upgraded to Navitas 440A controller and definitelt not changing out controller again. I was thinking I would put another $100 into this 94 cart to get more speed. Bought a year ago for $2,500 and added $2,000 upgrade for controller and new motor. I am just about done with putting any more money into this old thing.
Can I add a 12 v battery to middle of the pack and not cause any damage to the F/R switch or other wiring?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Now I'm confused I don't know anything about replacing that controller I said that series motor will work on both voltages

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
12 volt batteries probably have less capacity current wise then the six or eight volts that you've got in there will it work yes will it work as well as putting in two sixes no

njohnson60

Thanks to Diode Member. I have limited vision so I just saw the info on the Alltrax Controller and Navitas AC in your post. Thought you were telling me to upgrade with those components.

I was trying to add an added voltage source to my existing configuration without damaging any other components in this cart. Wiring Harnesses, F/R switch, etc. I am going to change 36V Solenoid that i recently bought to a 48V one. Is that all I need to replace when I add another battery into my cart?

njohnson60

Isn't AmpHours rating the current capability of the batteries? My Dekapro 6v batteries are rated at 100Ah . The 27 Group size 12v battery is rated at 110 Ah.
What makes GC Batteries better than Marine Deep Cycle batteries?? Are the Plates Thicker, Larger or what? Deep Cycle batteries are designed to provide power for a long time and be recharged many times from near dead conditions. Am I wrong? Can't see spending twice the price for batteries that are designated as GOLF CART batteries unless I know what is the difference.
Might go to 4 12V Deep Cycle batteries if I go through with 48V upgrade or just 3 of them to remain at 36 V configraration.
My current 6 pack are dated 3/20 so they are nearing EOL.
Not upgrading to a Lithium system on a 94 Series cart.

njohnson60

TO all who have been responding I want to thank you. This forum is a great resource for those who are relatively new to this cart life.
I am retired and on disability with limited sight so this is my my method of transportation in my complex. Had to give up driving my car now.

Notsoslim

It is all about the discharge rate when it comes to golf cart batteries. Do some research before you buy anything, there are many threads here that feature people that bought the wrong battery or batteries. Don't do that to yourself.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Most 6 volt golf cart batteries are rated 200+ ah, are you sure you are looking at the right number? That would mean the 12v marine batteries would have approximately half the capacity (realistically less). They definitely will work if you only go short distances on level ground, however if you want to accelerate fast, go up hills, or drive more than 5-10 miles you will likely need real golf cart batteries. Trying to add a 12v marine battery in series with existing golf cart batteries is a good way to light your money on fire. All the batteries will be ruined in no time due to the massive capacity mismatch.

njohnson60

Thank you guys, I will double check the Dekapro cart battery figures. Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine batteries are rated at 650 CCA and 160 minutes of Reserve from what I am reading. I will look up what the numbers are for GOLF CART Designated batteries.

njohnson60

So Guys just checked on the batteries in my 36v cart. It is using six DekaPro Master GC10 batteries rated at 75AH and 105 Min . All dated 3/20 on top sticker.
Any suggestions to get more speed out of my cart?
I have already replaced 36v Solenoid with HD White Rodgers Solenoid,
Stock Controller with Navitas 440A Controller and Admiral MOT-B1 Motor.
ITS replaced when it stopped moving about 2 months ago. It is moving now.
Current Max speed is about 17MPH on flat ground, two people on board. Slows down to about 12 MPH uphill.
This is a Series Cart, the guy who had me buy upgrade components had me order the Series parts instead of having me order the parts that would have upgraded this cart to PDS format. Didn't tell me that he did this until after the install was completed and at that time I didn't know enough about carts to know the difference.
Motor and controller can be used at 48 volts. What about rest of the wiring harnesses in the cart? FNR switch, etc. Would it be OK with the extra batteries if I go up to 48 V LA source. Have already ordered new solenoid that will work on 48V. Not installed yet.
Probably paid too much for cart to begin with and upgrade was about $2,000. Now into this one for $4,500.
Can't put too much into this cart unless the return would be decent.
TIA for your advice.

njohnson60

Yes thank you this is why I want to change out or add batteries to make source voltage 48 volts. I have to be careful where connections are made for lights and any accessories hooked up already. Those should all be running off of the batteries directly or does the power for those come from the controller at the right voltage? I do not want to blow anything out. I am trying to do this myself with limited vision.