Adding brake lights....

gornoman

This project assumes you allready have twin circuit factory style tail lights installed. I simply added a switched 12v hot wire to the 3rd connection on the existing tail lights, and BINGO, stop lamps. This is for an E-Z-Go Medalist or TXT.

This is a brake light switch from a 1950 Chevrolet pickup truck. NAPA $28. I have since found them on the web for $6 (oh well):

The mounting bracket was fabbed from a piece of sturdy angle iron which was bent slightly for a better working angle. I drilled 1 hole in the brake support assembly to mount the bracket. The arm of the switch simply rides up and down on the brake pedal itself. 12v hot lead comes into one side of the switch and leaves on the other side and heads back to the lights,

I needed a way to support the plastic conduit safely so I put on the old thinking cap and came up with this idea:
I added a cutoff switch in the tee holder to kill the circuit when the hill brake is engaged. This could also be done with relays via the keyswitch or gear selector but I didn't want to spend that much engineering on it.

The Chevy switch is weatherproof and nice and small. I want to thank Andy4639 for his brilliant idea and engineering.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Nice work Gorno...

Thanks for posting the how to...
cool.gif

gornoman

Glad to, HRC. Always willing to give a bit back!

This weekend I will check out a Club Car for the same upgrade possibility. Don't know if it's as easy on a CC.

JRay

Cartaholic
Nice job there Gorno looks good. People that use carts in campgrounds with traffic should have these and turn signals. Thought i read somewhere that in a golf cart community in florida they were required.
thumbup.gif

gornoman

I am considering adding turn signals just for the gadget aspect of it all. My only problem is I have no front running lights, just automotive driving lights. If I could find some nice amber LED marker lights that were small enough to work well, I just might do it.

gornoman

My tail lights are LED, as well as the marker lights on the roof. It's the wave of the FUTURE!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've been wanting to add the brake lights and turn siginals to both of my carts for a while and never did it. One of these days I'll get to it...

Gorno, do you have the NAPA part # for the switch?

mangoridge

Ditto here, I want to add brake lights to. Cool little trick on the wire terminal loom hanger
no1b.gif
I never really thought to do that. I alwayse use those ty rap screw to frame hangers which dry rot after so many years.

gornoman

Thanx to all for the nice words.

Now get out there and do something!

Mango, ideas like that happen when you spend a little time with my old friend Mr. Bumpabit. I do some of my best work when he's around....

JRay

Cartaholic
Brew it,distill it, grow it its all good. Where i grew up you couldn,t buy booze at times. Helped my grandmother make a lot of home brew, she was dam good at it too.
alcohol.gif