Add a Battery to a 36 Volt EZGO Golf Cart for Extra Power

kangolfer

Has anybody out there heard of a way to add an extra battery to a EZGO golf cart 36 volt system and throw a switch when the extra power is needed. It would be used only you need extra power to go up a hill, etc. Rack your brains guys.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
You should be able to add an extra batt and not need a switch. You're talkin' about another 6 volt, yes?

spidy

lol I guess I need to read the whole title.

If I were you I would just go up to 48v and leave it. That way you have the power all the time.

rhgc

I have done it before. I used two seperate solinoids...one was 36 and one was 48 (could have been done with 42 just would have to use a 42 volt solinoid line in a Western) U will just have to upgrade to a controller that can handle 36 or 48 volt like an alltrax. I built it for a friend who wanted 36 volts for the kids and 48 volts for himself. used a Heavy Duty Marine Battery switch to make the switch.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
You don't have to upgrade the controller to run 42v and the 36v charger will charge the 42v pack. It's an inexpensive upgrade. It won't have the same punch as your 48 volt golf cart, but it'll help on hills like he's wanting.

spidy

cool. I didnt know you could do that. :hattip:
Would the same be true for me? Say I wanted a bit more outta my 48v. Add another 6v and go up to 54v and use the same 48v charger?

dougmcp

A 36v charger won't charge a 42v pack, it will charge a 36v pack and you will need to use a 6v charger for the last battery.
You can either use your solenoid on 42v or shortwire it to 36v on the pack.
If you have an LED or analog state of charge meter, it will also have to be shortwired to 36v.
42v will get you about 15% more speed and torque.

One more thing if you decide to go to 42v, I have a 42v Lestronic ll charger for sale.

Quick question on the need to speed up hill climbing.

Our PDS has the computer controlled shunt motor and not the series. Where the battery pack is a 100% or 50% SOC with the pedal to the metal it runs 13 MPH on the level and down hill and on rather steep hills it runs at 9 MPH.

Does a series drive cart go slower than 9 MPH on hills and does it slow down more when the batteries are at 50% than 100% state of charge?

Our 2007 EZGO PDS is the only electric cart I have ever driven. The seller said his dad has a series cart and complains about the hill speed after he tried to get him into a PDS cart when he purchased.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A series cart doesn't have regen braking so it will pick up speed going downhill. On a PDS cart like you have you can install a freedom chip and it will eliminate most of the regen braking and the cart will run 19+ MPH on level ground. The different chips don't change torque on a PDS cart only the amount of regen braking.

dougmcp

There should be no big difference in speed going up hills but going down a series cart will run away as it has no dynamic braking like the PDS.

Thanks. I guess I got lucky not knowing anything about golf carts that we got the regen version since we live on a big hill and have kids. The Steep Hill jumper plug (chip) slows it down to 10 MPH with the foot off of the pedal so that helps.

The main reasons I got it was something to give the kids driving lessons in that was controlled like a car and to use as a run about around the place hauling stuff.

kangolfer

Doug, i had a 2001 cart like yours that was 42 v It run circle around my 36 volt western styled after a caR. Would adding a another battery bring it up to the level(power wise) as your western 42v. I was looking at the pictures you have posted, what kind of contoller is in your cart. i just installed a new 400 amp controller and solenoid.