A dead short...

GarageBuilt

I blew up a new high voltage controller.. The controller will shut it's self down anything past 250-volts... The controller was rebuilt at no expense to me nor was any questions asked... But to be fare I am looking for any dead shorts... Now my total voltage is 200 volts... Ok so if I had a 200 volt short in my system where would it show up at... I have 200 volts coming from the battery pack.. The same amount going into my main contacter & coming out once it is closed... I have pack voltage going into & out of the controller ... And the same for the motor... My frame is clean... At the most it has .5 volts on it..The controller blew under a load around the 60 ft mark.... After blowing two of the same controllers both the same way now I am gun shy.. I find myself not wanting to pull the trigger ... The new controller is installed & ready to go... I just need to hunt down all the butt puckering adventures !!!!!!!
yikes2.gif
Please tell me what you can.....
checkered_flag.gif
checkered_flag.gif
usaflag1.gif
checkered_flag.gif
checkered_flag.gif

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
GB....
tip.gif
At 200 volts DC with ??? amps...
yikes2.gif
I'm thinking you're probably arcing inside the motor or an insulator leaking...
dazed053.gif
But then again you should be able to see the arc marks...
twocents.gif

oddpowers

Cartaholic
GB, I dought you have a dead short. I would think a dead short, would be a short as soon as you closed the contactor and you wouldn't even make it to the 60' mark. Is it possible you have feed back voltage going back to the controller? Are you boosting at all?

GarageBuilt

l

The small one is the one most of y'all have.. The big one is my race controller... And no OP!!!! I
wont boost that one... With this controller you don't even need a bypass.. It has no ramp up at all... I can't stage the cart by it's self...

When I blew it up the end pice shoot out 60 ft... Both controllers let go around 40 mph... Went to the track last night & the controller was great !!!!! Made a pass on 72 volts. Top speed was 57 mph/.. When i got back to the pits I could hold my hand on the motor.. Both motor & controller was warm only.... The race controller can handle 250-volts... No need to boost.... So no dead short after all.... Thanks guys....