99 TXT bad fuel pump???

smlranger

I have a 99 4 stroke EZGO. Yesterday it began losing power and would only run if I held the choke full on. Finally stopped running altogether. Replaced fuel filter, made sure fuel pick up in tank was not clogged, new plugs, sprayed some Deep Creep in carb throat, tapped on carb bowl (thought float might be stuck). Now when I try to make it run, there is no fuel showing in the new filter (I have checked flow direction...I have it installed right). So, I'm thinking the fuel pump is shot.

What might I be missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try pulling the fuel line off at the carb and put it in a container to catch any gas. Crank it and see if you get any fuel. If you don't get any gas out of the line it could be the diaphram or dirt in the fuel pump...

divot61

try taking the vacuum hose off at the bottom of the fuel pump and blow into it, you may find you have some oil in the tube. the oil in the tube will stop the vacuum from pumping fuel

ftfixer

usaflag1.gif
i have had to suction fuel through the filter and to the carb. before might want to try it. oh yea i always do it the old fashion way and get a mouth full of gas.
no.gif

smlranger

Thanks for all the suggestions. Progress report:

. replaced all fuel lines and the vacuum line.

. verified that the fuel pump works....fuel flows thru fuel line to carb when you crank it

. using the bleed screw on the carb bowl, verified fuel in bowl.

Still would not start so removed carb, removed bowl, cleaned it by soaking in Seafoam and blew out all orifices. Reinstalled carb. Still won't run. Sprayed starting fluid in carb, and it runs for short bursts. Choke flap is working.

I'm now suspecting the fuel? My tank was 1/4 full and car ran fine. I filled the tank to 1/2 full with some gas I had in a can for about 90 days that had been treated with Stabil when I got the fuel. I have used the fuel in my lawn mower with no problem but this issue started within 30 min. of adding the gas from the can. I plan to pump the tank and add new gas before I 'call the man. '

ftfixer

no.gif
sounds like you are still not getting fuel through the carb. even though it is getting to the carb. i have cleaned and re-cleaned before finding the problem before. it may be the fuel that you used but it sounds like the fuel is just not getting there to fire the engine.
dazed053.gif

smlranger

Update: Stopped by the dealer today and their service guys suggested I need to check/adjust valve lash (car is 10 years old and never had a valve adjustment). They claimed if valves were seriously out of adjustment, the engine might not run. I found all the valves very tight and adjusted to .005 as they recommended. Still cannot get the engine to run. I did check the plugs after cranking the motor and the plugs are wet so fuel is getting to them. I'm now thinking I have an ignition problem but the motor will run for short bursts if I spray starting fluid in the carb.

At any rate, their service guy is delivering a car to our neighborhood tomorrow and plans to check mine. Me and the dog are missing our daily ride
sad.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The next things I'd check is the compression. Check the spark it should be nice and blue. Maybe some new spark plugs and and a air filter.

ftfixer

wallbash.gif
like hotrod suggested pull the plugs leave plug connected to plug wire and ground plug then crank engine over and make sure the plugs are firing you should get a good blue spark.i am sure that you probably know as much as i do about the cart but just wanted to make sure that you are setting valves on low side of the cam shaft. seems now that you are not getting good spark or are actualy flooding and just for the info.it will take less spark to ignite the starting fluid than to ignite the gas. also check both coil wires and make sure that both are pushed down into the coil all the way you should also have intermitant fire on one side of the coil and constant on the other while cranking engine over check with a test light grounded to the battery. just some things to try it sounds to me like you would like to get this thing running yourself as i would these things can realy make you scratch your head sometimes. good luck.
tip.gif

smlranger

Spark plugs are new. I made sure the cam lobes were turned down during valve adjustment.

I didn't check the spark....duh.....not sure why I didn't think to do that. I have been suspecting a problem with the ignition system since I know that it is pretty easy to light starter fluid.....ether burns pretty good
yes.gif
. I've had the car for about 5 yrs and never had any problems so this is the first time I've really had to mess with it other than oil changes and adding a lift kit, wheels, running boards, and other goodies
wink.gif
. I'm learning a lot about it so that is a good thing.

Service guy will come today $$$$$$$$$$$ and hopefully find the problem/s.

smlranger

wallbash.gif
Well, what the service guy will find when he gets here is a car that runs just fine.

I got home from work early today and decided to remove a plug and check the spark...it was fine. I got some fresh gas on the way home so I decided to pump the tank, drain the carb bowl, and refill with fresh gasoline. After about 5 engine revs, the thing fired up and runs like a bandit.

Called the dealer but the service guy is already on the way. I asked if they could call him on a cell, etc. and tell him not to come but they said no, he lives nearby and will come anyway. So, I'll let him check things over and maybe sell me a spare fuel filter, air filter.

Lessons learned. Since the problem started after adding the gas, I should have followed my gut and tried this first. Anyway, I've now got a tuned-up machine that is ready for some fun and work
thumbup.gif

Thanks, again, for all the suggestions. I will enjoy visiting this site. How do you post pics on the site?

ftfixer

thumbup.gif
good deal sometimes it is the most simple thing but we as mechanics want to realy get into it up to our elbows glad that you have got it running good and ready to ride.and on another note myself and my grandson were riding my cart about an hour ago and pulled up to a stop sign when ready to take off the battery was dead as a hammer.i had to use the four wheeler to pull it home so i am charging the battery now so that i can check it out later.may need to ask for some assistance later may find that it is the generator but the first thing will be the battery. good carting
thumbup.gif