99 powerdrive plus stalled cart still clicks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
?
dazed053.gif

gareusch

I have a 98 powerdrive plus that has the same problems as yours. Did you ever correct the problem or get an answer.as if it was your speed controller that was bad???

shadowman

cart killer, some info please what year, what voltage what model........any mods to it .......and what happened and has anyone worked on it.......................................
thumbup.gif

06z400rider

Hey guys, I'm new on here, and I see that there are some people with very helpful info aboard! I have a custom cart shop, and I have a 1996 Club Car 48V kicking my butt. I bought it after it had sat up for a few years. I attempted charging, wouldn't charge, wired around relay in charger, charged a while, etc. Ended up having to change OBC to get cart charging properly. After installing the new OBC, the cart charged great, but when I hit the gas, even though batteries were charged, the solenoid energized and clicked, but that was it. I hooked up straight to the motor with jumper cables, and the cart lunged forward, so I know the motor and batteries are good. I determined it must be a controller with the help of a club car technician. I ordered an Alltrax 300 amp controller, installed, and.....just clicks the solenoid. I then thought it HAD to be the solenoid....just changed it today, and guess what? CLICK.... I'm now leaning toward potentiometer, but it's obvious I don't know, and it's obviously a common prob on the CCs. HELP?!? Thanks a LOT!!
dazed053.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try jumping the two large posts on the solenoid with a 6 gauge or larger jumper and see if it runs. If it does the solenoid is bad. If not let us know and we'll go from there.

shadowman

if its a reagan cart it has 2 solenoids and you might be hearing that one clicking........as mentioned jack rear up and jump solenoid even a clicking solenoid can be bad................................
thumbup.gif

06z400rider

Ok guys. Tested the motor this morning. It's good. Tried jumping the solenoid- nothing. Club car tech said 3 years of sitting means bad batteries. Bought and installed all new batteries- still just clicks. It has a NEW: obc, alltrax controller, solenoid, batteries, and still just clicks. Help!?!? Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If everything you replaced is good I'd say you need to double check all your wiring. Also make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Maybe someone else has some ideas???

shadowman

Follow HRC,s advice and also look at all the wires make sure they are good and tight.......one more question is the battery from the #6 battery neg. terminal going thur the hole in the OBC or around it? if its not going thur the hole thats your problem............................
thumbup.gif

06z400rider

Guys, I appreciate the help SOOO much! I actually was working on it with my brother-in-law tonight, and he noticed that I had hooked up the wires incorrectly on the controller. The club cars only use three of the available four prongs on the controller, and I was suppposed to hook them up on 1,2, and 3. I accidentally hooked them up on 4,3,and 2. Oops. Anyhow, I hooked them up correctly, and it took off driving! The only issue now is that in reverse, it is really slow and weak....in forward, it will almost pop a wheelie with all the high amp stuff on it and new batteries.....You think it will start getting better in reverse the more I use it??? Thanks

06z400rider

Well, it actually has a serious problem in reverse. A couple of days ago, when you hit reverse, it took a while to get going, but it would go in reverseon flat ground or down hill. Now it wont even get the wheels turning in reverse, but will almost pop a wheelie in forward. Yesterday, we hit the pedal in reverse and after a few seconds saw smoke from the motor....Not good, huh? The cables to the motor all seem good, so I'm thinking maybe one of the studs on the motor may not be making good contact internally on the motor, and the amperage can't get through in reverse....what do you think? Obviously the windings, brushes, bearings, etc are ok, cuz the motor works great in forward....

shadowman

if you had smoke from motor it has to come off but until you get it off and see the inners we can,t be much help........................................
thumbup.gif

06z400rider

I understand. I am planning on ordering a new one Monday and will play it by ear with this one. maybe I can get it rebuilt or something and stick it on the shelf for next time. You guys know any good electric motor shops to send it to that would be affordable?

06z400rider

This morning I pulled the motor off, and I really didn't see any obvious issues. I only had 1 ohm of resistance through the windings, the bearing was fine, all wires were intact and whole. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the brushes were grooved up pretty badly and there was dust in there from where the brushes had been sanded down by grit or something. Will that cause the problem I've been having in reverse? If not, I may be looking at more of an issue with the amperage not making it through cables going to the motor for reverse, or not making it through the F&R switch properly.... I have taken the F&R switch completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly though. What's the prognosis now?