99 clubcar gas

robertb4588

I have a 99 gas club car I am having trouble starting. when we bought cart it came with 2 additional parts carts [1996 & 1994] the 99 had no starter on it so we put one from the 96 on. The motor turns but the fuel is not pumping out of the tank. not sure if the starter is right or if it should be reversed any help would be appreciated

ftfixer

tip.gif
first of all we need to know that the engine is firing [spark at the plugs] if so then we can start looking at the fuel problem. also on the end of the starter away from the pulley which post is the ground cable attached to.

robertb4588

engine is not producing spark to plug. the ground is connected to a-1 on starter. when belt is pulled starter has alittle resistance then nothing it just turns free.

ftfixer

tip.gif
just so that i know exactly what the starter is doing i understand that the engine has no spark but the starter is turning the engine over as it should am i right?
usaflag1.gif

robertb4588

the starter only turns a little bit without pushing the wheel. it seems to hangup in the beginning but is now intermitently working.
solanoid looks new but wondering if I should replace it and starter.

ftfixer

tip.gif
i do believe that you need to get you starter checked out by someone that does auto electric work they will be able to check it out and maybe it can be repaired. to me it sounds like the armature in the starter/generator may be bad which can be replaced but if you need a new s/g you could probably get them to find you a new after market s/g's can be very expensive. you probably need to check your voltage regulator also sometimes this is what causes this problem.
twocents.gif

BIGDAWG

OK, I have to ask the stupid questions. you stated the 99 cart had
no starter, where did you get the starter from ? and what color is the
starter ? If it can from one of the other carts it may by wrong. Therefore
turning the engine the wrong direction.
twocents.gif

BIGDAWG

robertb4588

the starter is black and it came off of the other cart which I believe is a 96 when facing from left side of cart the pulley on starter goes counter clockwise. tried swapping wires. but it didn't work at all.

robertb4588

couldn't find anyone to have starter checked I took end off of starter and cleaned everything inside. put starter back together and engine now turns , fuel is being pumpe to carb but it won't catch took hose from air filter off of carb and when turning over engine get air blowing out wondering if starter is turning engine wrong I think it should be pulling air in.

robertb4588

when facing the passenger side of cart the rotation is counter clockwise is there any way th reverse the rotation or is a new starter needed

DWscott

Club Car Factory Starter numbers are as follows for 1992-1999
Clock Wise #101833701
Counter Clock Wise # 101829401
I dont remember but I think 1996 Club Car changed engines and also changed the direction on starter/generators?

DWscott

Also an OLD MECHANICs trick so as to make everything right and left ( AS YOU ARE WHEN SITING IN DRIVERS SEAT )

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If it doesn't charge you can try swapping the other two wires. It works on some Club Car generators. On other it causes the starter generator to short and get hot.

wass1967

You are using the wrong starter on it. 84-96.5 BLACK starters are Counter clock wise rotation.
96.5-up use a gold starter that is clock wise rotation.

You may of made it turn backward by swapping wires but you are going to fry either the starter out really fast or cause a fire. I would not chance it and get the right one ASAP.

Your taking a big chance on this one.