98 Ezgo fleet won't move!

asimp

Hello......I've been searching the site for a couple of weeks now trying to diagnose my cart. My wife was driving last summer and it just quit on her. I went down to get it, and when I got on it the cart moved fine. Parked it, and never would move again. The batteries were brand new last year, I have tested each individual battery and as a whole, all are great. The solenoid clicks when the accelerator is pushed down. The backup buzzer works as well. Reed switch is fine. Ive tried everything I can think of, please offer suggestions! Thanks for any help you can give!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like a bad connection. Have you checked the 4 cable connections at the motor and the forward and reverse switch? If the connections are all good try jumping the large posts on the solenoid with a 6 gauge or larger cable and see if the cart runs.

asimp

All connections are good and tight. I replaced the solenoid hoping it was the problem.....still the same things happening. One thing I should mention.......the key has never worked on the cart. Cart runs without the key turned. I've been going thru all the wires with my multimeter and can't seem to find what the problem is!

TDAWG

If the solenoid clicks when you press the gas pedal then the micro switch under the floor mat is fine. If the back up buzzer works then the reed switch is fine. I would concentrate on the key switch thing. Mabye a micro switch on the F&R assembly.

asimp

I've checked voltage at all the connections on the forward and reverse switch and everything seems fine. Didn't see any issues. Would the forward/reverse cam have anything to do with the problems I'm having? It seems to work ok just looking at it, but don't see a way of testing it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
As long as the contact studs and buss bars in forward and reverse switch cam are good and it's activating the micro switches the cam should be fine. The contact studs in the cam also need to be aligned correctly like they are in this picture.
ezgo-fr-5.jpg

asimp

Update.....was testing some parts again, bumped the little black wire from the solenoid to the controller........sparks went everywhere. Messed up the reed switch and the accelerator microswitch. Replaced everything and also put a new forward/reverse switch in (friend had a new one). Also put a new diode and resistor on the solenoid. I think I must have gotten the wrong microswitch.
As soon as I hooked everything back up, it blew immediately. What would cause it to blow?

asimp

FYI......I dropped it off at the shop this morning. I couldn't pin point anything wrong with it. Will let you guys know what they find out. Thanks for everyone trying to help!

asimp

Talked to the shop today......he said everything is looking fine on it. The controller is good, no issues that he has found. He is leaning toward a bad motor, but said he still has to do a continuity test on it to verify. If he is correct and the motor is bad, what should I replace it with? Is there a motor I can put on there to boost up the speed a little? Also money would be a factor though, as I am currently out of work. Won't be going back to work until July, so I have to watch what I spend! Thanks for any input guys!