98 ez go gas clutch help

nosfed1

Ive got a 98 gas cart . Ive just got it running (fuel pump was out ) It has set for a long while. i dont know anything about these but the clutch is not squeezing the belt? im referring to the clutch as being the big hub on the end of the crank ? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

welcome.gif

Can you move the outer sheave, (big hub), in by pushing it toward the belt/motor by hand?

nosfed1

not by hand , but i had a small cheater pipe between the frame and the hub and could move it with a lil effort

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
with the belt off you should be able to push the clutch in very easy with your hand. if not there is dirt etc in the bushing

nosfed1

i tried by hand. there was a gap between the hub and belt and i could slide it . I dont know how to take belt off yet ? sorry

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
now i would start the cart and see if the clutch engages with the belt off, i'm starting to think the engine rpm's are not coming up enough to engage it.

nosfed1

ok tried that . it seems to be reving up , but spittin and sputterin aliitle. kinda misting a lil fuel outta the carb how can i hook a tach up to see what its pullin?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i would go back and recheck the valve clearance again, a compression test will also help to narrow down the problem
twocents.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well the valves should be right, then its commin' down to the lack of fuel or timing, did you pull the carb all of way apart and blow out all holes with a air compressor? is there a new filter in the fuel line, if there was water or crap in the tank or lines it may have gottin'back into the carb
dazed053.gif
are you sure the fuel pump was bad to start? not common but sometimes the inside of the fuel line will collapse or the end of the pickup tube in the tank will squeeze together. i'm betin' theres still junk in the carb, keep diggin' and you'll get it
thumbup.gif

nosfed1

Ok ive went thru the carb and cleaned again , was alil dirty . tank was just nasty!had to get all the spiders out!!!! cleaned everything , new fuel line , filter , cleaned carb with carb cleaner and air compresser. still the same . 0-1/2 throttle revs fine to me , 1/2-wide open flutters?