96 EZGO Golf Cart Clicks But Doesn't Run

fabbinman

Hello, I'm new to the forum here. Thought I'd ask a question about my 96 EZGO golf cart that clicks but doesn't run.
It's a 96 EZGO TXT DCS. The battery pack voltage is 37.9v. The ITS is in range at 0.45v - 1.64v. Solenoid clicks and controller voltages are good. There's 37.9 volts at the motor. I'm thinking possibly a microswitch at the forward and reverse switch. Does anyone know the ohm values for these micro switches? Will a bad microswitch cause my problem?

JRay

Cartaholic
HRC will be along shortly, he is our EZGO guru. Don't worry we will have your golf cart up and running in no time.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
From what you've tested so far everything looks good. It could possibly be the controller or motor. If you want to test the motor try this:

This test is for sepex and shunt motors only...

Flip the run/tow switch to tow.
Disconnect the positive and negative from the battery pack.
Spray a little penetrating oil on the 4 motor studs where cables are connected.
Mark cables and remove all four from the motor (use 2 wrenchs on the motor connections to hold the jam nut).
Jump A1 to F1 and A2 to F2.
Use a 12 volt battery or battery charger set on 15-20 amps, connect negative to A1 and positive to A2, it will spark a little, so it's best to make a break in one of your connections and make the last connection there to keep from damaging the threads on the motor studs.

If the motor checks out ok let us know and we'll go from there.

fabbinman

The motor tested good... I think my controller is bad it sounds like a bucket of pebbles when you shake it.

fabbinman

I had the controller replaced and everything works great! Thanks for all the advice and troubleshooting tips!!!

fabbinman

Thanks for all the help getting my cart running.
Now i have a new problem....
At wide open throttle the cart runs great, however, at minimal throttle, its not so good.
I was creaping along checking my pasture fence and smelled something burning. After checking, I found the positive battery cable smoking and melting. This is the cable from positive battery terminal to solenoid. This is the only cable doing this. It also melted the battery post itself. Any ideas? I just put a new controller in this cart and don't want to destroy it.

JRay

Cartaholic
Sounds like a loose cable? Was it unhooked to install the new controller and not get tightened back down? :dazed:

fabbinman

No loose cables. Everything worked perfect (low speed and high speed) for a week. I took it to the farm and it worked good. Charged overnight and then problem developed. The positive battery cable gets loose when post melts. I'm starting to think that the battery has an internal problem. It passes the load test, but i haven't tested the specific gravity yet.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Normally the only thing that will melt a battery terminal is a loose/dirty connection or a bad cable. If the cable and connection were good it could be the battery.

shadowman

In most cases when that happens it either a loose or dirty connection or loose and dirty or dirty. Is there anything else running off that battery? And the battery can be fixed and usable again so don't go buy one. If the cable had a bad spot under insulation that can happen.