96 ez

ftfixer

dazed053.gif
riding cart today everything was working fine when i stopped at an intersection my cart would not restart the battery was completly drained. we pulled cart to my shop and put charger on after a few minutes of charging started right up. checked battery with volt meter 12.9 volts while starting voltage dropped to 11.6 volts after engine started about 12.4 volts what do you think generator or possibly voltage regulator.
usaflag1.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a test for the starter/generator and regulator...

Find the green wire from the starter to the regulator. Unplug the plug in the middle of the green wire.

Connect your voltmeter to the battery.

With the engine running at governed speed:
Hold the green wire FROM THE STARTER to frame or engine ground.

The voltage should jump to around 18 volts. If it does go to around 18 volts, the regulator(or regulator connection) is bad.

If the voltage stays low, check the green wire for any breaks...

ftfixer

dazed053.gif
well 18 volts with green wire grounded to frame and running at high rpms all connections are good so i suppose i need to order a voltage regulator.i appreciate the info. i printed it and placed in my cartaholics manual for later use.
tip.gif

ftfixer

wallbash.gif
could the voltage regulator have burned my starter/generator up also cart would not start only click checked all connections and wiring with voltage tester and ohm meter everything checked ok. pulled starter suspecting bad brushes 3 brushes good and on the other the spring had released and it had not been making contact placed spring back and blew out with air next i hooked jumper wire from battery to positive and ground on starter .the starter would only turn very slowly and at times would not turn without turning pulley it made a good connection once and was realy spinning but only once .what i wonder now is do i need a regulator or just repair the starter/generator.
dazed053.gif