96 Club Car Quits Running

Hipshot2412

I'm working on a gas CC cart for a guy that played 4 holes and it quit running. It would start but then die. He went back out to get it after the round and it ran all the way back to the barn. Fuel filters were fine as was the carb and fuel pump and it had good spark. Figured I'd fixed it by cleaning the carb. Today he made it 12 holes and same thing. After it cools it seems to run and the dif between the 2 days it quit was that today it was 15 degrees cooler outside. I've done the search thing but I can't be there when it quits. Should I replace the coil and the 2 micros?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check to see if the cart is getting spark when it dies. If there's no spark it's probably the ignitor, coil or rev limiter. You can unhook the ground wire from the rev limiter and tape it up and if the problem goes away it's the rev limiter. If you still have the problem it's the coil or the ignitor. Your best bet would be to go with the new style coil that has the ignitor built into the coil.
Before you replace anything make sure it's loss of spark causing the cart to die.

Hipshot2412

I can't be there when it dies cause I don't play golf with him. By the time I get there it has great spark. I think that I'll replace the coil and unplug the revlimiter and hope for the best. He doesn't want to get pushed in the cart shed again. And I'm tired of working on the cart. Thanks for your reply.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you unplug the rev limiter make sure the governor is adjusted properly or the RPM will get to high and your friend will have bigger problems. I would only unplug the limiter as a test. If the limiter checks out ok hook it back up or put a tach on the cart.

Hipshot2412

The cart is completely stock as I have been servicing it since new. I don't have any qualms about the revlimiter being unpluged. Why do they cost so much? Also, gosh I hate the CC service manual, where the heck is the ignitor located?

Hipshot2412

Put in the new coil today. It is a 96 cart but had the 97 coil/ignitor package. Damn thing took me 3 hours and I never could get the cowling completely loose. Held it open with a bungee with just barely enough room to work. Now I'll wait to see if the owner can make 18 holes. Previously I had disabled the rev limiter but that made no difference as he only made 4 hole before it quit him.

Hipshot2412

My guy played 18 holes today and the cart ran great. The coil/ignitor did the trick. But he isn't going to like the bill for the repair. Thank you for your help. It will be way too soon if I ever have to put another coil in a Club Car.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks for the update on the Club Car.
cool.gif