95 Club Car Fairway Villager

kystik35

When I plug the charger it in it sits there for a few seconds then the ammeter on the charger doesnt move and there is no humming noise. I have already charged it once this season and it did fine. I tried resetting the OBC and I checked the voltage of each battery. Each had 5.5 Volts. Anyone have any suggestions?

JRay

Cartaholic
Isn't that villager a 48 volt cart? Those readings are way low for an 8 volt battery cart. You either have a bad battery situation or a charger problem. Try another charger.

kystik35

Im really new to working on these things so I dont know much about them. Someone said it may be the OBC but im not sure. Could it be that the batteries are so low they wont charge? I read on here somewhere if it didnt have a minimum amount of voltage it wouldnt charge. If thats the case could I charge them individually then stick the regular charger on there? Is there anyway to bypass the OBC to see if it will charge?

kao

Is that a four battery or six battery system. If it is six I think you could be
on the edge of where the low voltage limit for the obc is. If its four batteries
you are well below voltage. Try jumpering the relay in the charger (after you
have verified water level in your batteries is at least over the plates) and try
charging for 15 minutes. Then hook the relay back up and see if the charger
will take over

kystik35

It is a six battery system and like I said im faily new to this stuff. How do I jump the relay in the charger?

kao

If you pull the cover off the charger there is a black box mounted to the
floor of the cabinet in front of the transformer, that is the relay. The black
wire that connects 15 amp overload to the relay gets removed and the
black wire that runs from the relay to the transformer gets pulled from the
relay and plugged in to the 15 amp overload. This is the way my charger
is set up it is a Power Drive #17930. Hope this makes sense, I would rather
do it this way than trying to charge two batteries at a time with a twelve
volt charger.Good luck

kystik35

That sounds easy enough. And for no longer than 20 minutes or so and make sure there is adequate water in the batteries. Ill try that when I get home. Thanks.

kystik35

Okay got home and gave it a shot. Still get nothing. I can here the charger click but it never starts charging. What should I look at next? OBC? Batteries?

kao

Did the ampmeter jump up like it was charging and then it clicked or
did it just click w\o any meter movement. If the meter jumped up I
would look at batteries for a bad cell and check your cables for
resistance with a ohmmeter might be a bad connection on the cables
they can look good and still have a bunch of resistance. If the charger
just clicked with no needle movement sounds more like the charger.
Is the click you hear the overload opening up (do you have to reset it
to get the click to happen again) or does it happen everytime you plug it in.
Sorry i'm not much help, I'm new to carting too. But hopefully we can get
some of the more experienced guy's on here to through in there .02 cents
worth,

kystik35

Its a click with no movement. Ammeter doesnt move. Dont have to do anything to get the click to happen everytime.

kao

Hey is the click in the charger or the cart,can you identify what is clicking. I think the relay is the only thing
that should click in the charger

kao

I guess I would check voltage at the DC plug on the charger(with the charger it pluged in to 120v), when I had my charger jumpered it was
reading around 59-60 volts. If that is 0 I would start checking continuity in the cord and transformer.
If you have voltage at the plug I start checking continuity from the recepticale to your batteries.

jeff

you could have a bad fuse eather on the front of the charger or in the battery compartmentat the charger port.

kystik35

Ive tried everything. I checked the charger on a different cart and it worked fine. Checked all fuses and connections and everything appeared okay. I yanked the OBC last night and ordered another one. Where would have been the cheapest place to find one. I went with East Coast Carts $270.

kystik35

Hey everyone thanks for the help the new OBC got it charging now it doesnt seem like it wants to shut off. I havent let it go for the full 16 hrs yet but it has never taken that long before. What could be the prob?

kystik35

It was probably a month maybe more since it was last fully charged, I think I may have found the culprit. I didnt tighten up the black wire from the OBC to the back of the charging receptacle. Could that do it?