94 club car needs help

dubb

Hello everyone,

I have a 94 gas club car. It will not run. I will start with the fuel pump. It is mounted on the side of the gas tank. There is a small cirlcle about the size of a pencil eraser that looks like a wire filter. There is gas coming out of this spot. I took the pump apart and did not see any tears in the diaphram.

The next thing is the engine. When I try to start the engine it keeps cranking until gas is running out of the exhaust system. I took the carb off and apart and did not see anything unusual. I have spark and fuel. I can make the engine run for a minute by shooting starting fluid in it. When it does start it smokes and sounds terrible.

Is the engine blown, bad valve, bad fuel pump? I have no idea. At this point I'm thinking of replacing everything.

Thanks for any help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

If gas is leaking out of the fuel pump it's bad.

If gas is running out the exhaust your carb has some dirt in it or the needle valve is stuck. You need to fix the fuel pump problem, take the carb off clean it and blow it out good with compressed air and change your oil (oil is probably full of gas)...

dubb

Thank you for your help. I will try everything you mentioned. I'll let you know how it goes.

ftfixer

tip.gif
i agree with hot rod bad fuel pump and carb needs a good cleaning i worked on a lawnmower last week with the same problem and now it runs fine. also the starting fluid will make the engine rattle if you use it to keep the engine running for any period of time make sure you check out these other things first and don't use the starting fluid unless you have to.
twocents.gif

dubb

Well here's my update. I put on a new fuel pump and took the carb off and cleaned it and changed the oil. Which was full of gas. It ran pretty good for 30 minutes of so and then I stopped to talk with someone and it started doing the same crap all over again.

It will crank but will not start. There is fuel coming from a hose that looks like on overflow hose. It is the hose that is right above and behind the carb intake hose. It just dangles underneath not attached to anything on the other end. When I start cranking fuel bubbles out the open end of the hose.

Should I try rebuilding the carb? Or is this a bigger problem than that?

Thanks, Jeff

ftfixer

tip.gif
the needle valve on the float has to be sticking open i would remove carb,remove bowl,remove pin holding float in place,remove needle valve, wipe and clean needle valve also clean valve orfice before you put everything back together inspect the float closely i have found a hole in the float before and it will fill with gas and hold valve open.the small hose that you are refering to is for overflow.i think i would try this once more before a rebuild.if everything is not clean even a rebuild will not help also you probably already know about these steps that i have described but but just trying to touch on all the possibilities. let us know how it goes.
twocents.gif