93 marathon won't move

joejad

Im in dire need of help. I went to move my cart & it won't move. If I put the shifter in neutral the motor revs to full speed fine. When I put it in gear to go it hardly moves at all. I jacked ot up & put it in both gears and it moves fine. Both the drive & driven clutches are moving when I rev it up. still nada. The other thing is when I try to move it in gear it doesn't seem to get to the full rpm like when it's jacked up.
I'm lost here, or I'm not seeing a obvious issue. I would appreciate any help.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif

if i understand ya right, my first guess would be a striped rear hub/brake drum, or are you saying that it just has no power? if so i would say the valves need adjusting.

joejad

Nubs, it just has no power. I recently did a valve job & set the valves at .04 cold. Also I just put new brakes on, and a new fuel pump on the cart. It was running pretty good, but now it just hardly moves. I was wondering if it could be a clutch problem, but like I said both drive & driven move freely when I jack it up & run it.

bigdog29609

We just had an old 2-cycle Marathon in our shop with the same problem. We found the cart had almost NO compression. Ran great until you put the wheels on the ground.
no.gif

joejad

Bigdog, that's what I'm leaning to now. I did a compression test and the cyls were 120 & 150, and I am pushing some smoke. The thing that baffles me though is me & my daughter were both driving it around for the last few weeks & all of a sudden nada. I think I know what one big problem is, I got this cart for my daughter a few weeks ago & she had me paint it John Deere green, and I worked for CAT for 4 years
wallbash.gif
THAT DREADED GREEN.
I'm going to check the brake drum this weekend for stripping, I really doubt the clutch just went bad especially with both clutches moving so good. SO I guess I ring it & hope that fixes it, if not I at least get to cross it off the list.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Just to be sure re-check the valve lash like Nubs mentioned. With a fresh valve job things can change after running the engine.

joejad

Yep I'm going to check the valves too.
I really appreciate all the feed back guys. I never worked on a gas cart till now so I can use any help I can get thank's a bunch.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Did you install new intake valves, its very common for the intakes to suck up into the head on those engines.

joejad

Yep, that's why I did the valves, because I had to put new intakes in. I've never seen valves go up in a head like that. I'm going to order parts tomorrow for a ring job. Right now here in South Carolina it's clod as heck, so it will be a few days before I play around with it. I did go out in the shop yesterday and started it. I took the oil fill cap off when I had it running & it was pushing quite a bit of smoke, so I have to believe it needs the rings pretty bad.

kogieblack

So what was it? Stripped splines? Or dragging brakes. Or valve problem. You cannot have more than 10% difference in compression between the two cylinders. So if 1 is 150, the other should be within 135-165. Best is they should be the same or almost the same.