92cc Suddenly no power, solenoid not clicking

flafishergal

Last week, we checked all the connections, replaced cables as needed, all ran great. Then, we backed it out of the driveway, put it forward and nothing. The same thing happened again the next day. But now, of course, it's totally dead.
No solenoid click, nothing. Batteries are about two years old. All cables look tight and right.

We suspect: Solenoid, f/r switch or <gasp> motor.

What do you suggest we do to start to diagnose the cart? Remember, we're serious newbies and only minimally mechanically inclined.

Thanks.

dougmcp

What year and model is your cart?
36v or 48V?
Do your batteries have water in them and are they fully charged?

flafishergal

It's a 1990 model with the resistors in back. 36 v. We had charged up the batteries fully just before it stopped working, so I'm thinking it should still be good. Water was checked and filled in batteries the night before it went dead. We plugged the charger this morning, in but it wouldn't kick on to charge.

We don't want to cause any permanent damage, so the cart is sitting and I (wife) am walking to work in 100 degree weather. LOL Help! I don't sweat well.
no.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the charger isn't turning on chances are good you have a bad/dirty connection or a bad cable. Double check all your connections. Whats the voltage at the charger receptacle

flafishergal

Hmm.. okay... at closer look, one of the posts that we repaired a while back has remelted. (We did the drill into the battery and tap in a new post fix.)

Is it possible that I have two issues going on? Would the battery issue stop the charger from working? Does one bad battery cause a cart to stop totally?

thanks.

flafishergal

Well, now there's a new solenoid and still no go. We did get the motor to work when we jumped the old solenoid. First, question.... is there a wrong way to wire this solenoid? Also, what is the next thing to check and how? Okay, I guess that's two questions.
wacko.gif

flafishergal

And... the new solenoid when jumped made the motor turn fine.

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS CART?

I was counting on using this cart to take to work this summer and now, of all times, it's acting up. <sigh>

What should I check or do next?
wallbash.gif

flafishergal

We actually got a used battery from a local golf cart repair shop. It was tested before we got it and all was good with it.

What parts should we check next?

You know, we're going into withdrawl without our cart for a month now.

dougmcp

At this point I would consider taking the cart to your local repair shop for at least a diagnosis if not the repair.
You may end up throwing $ worth of parts at it when something simple may be the fix.