90 Par Car No Spark

Damien

Just curious if anyone has an idea where to start next. On the coil itself I have constant 12 volts to the positive side and negative side. Tried the old ignition and points and plate with a new coil but it’s always 12 volts on the negative side and have no spark. Any help would be appreciated

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If you have voltage on both sides of the coil, your problem is likely to be no negative pulse from the points. You need to investigate that side of the circuit. Make sure your points gap is correct and the points are opening and closing correctly. I don't know your carts setup, but it should be fairly simple to find the fault. Could be just a broken wire?

tcanthonyii

Just curious if anyone has an idea where to start next. On the coil itself I have constant 12 volts to the positive side and negative side. Tried the old ignition and points and plate with a new coil but it’s always 12 volts on the negative side and have no spark. Any help would be appreciated
Does your crank have a lobe to open the points? Many of the par cars did not have a lobe to open them. make sure the points open and close then clean them. You can also manually open and close the points to verify spark.

Damien

Thanks guys, put the old ignition and coil back in and took the points out. I believe it was a ground issue because I now just run a cable from the motor to the negative side of the battery and haven’t lost spark yet! Just going to keep it that way and see what happens.