89 Marathon goes slow

snaganddrag

I just purchased my first electric golf cart a 89 EZGO Marathon, which barely makes a hill (incline) with just one person. It had a couple bad connections on the cables at the resistor box. I cleaned and tightened. The cart goes fairly slow on flat ground and even slower up hill (like barely). The battery cables, solenoid, forward and reverse switch, etc. (every thing under the seat) is extremely hot after just a short run, 5 mins or less. I have ordered a new set of 4ga wires to replace them all is there anything else I can do to help this up the hill, and keep the electrical parts from getting hot? I am new to all this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I feel like I am at the right place as reading the other posts, there seems to be some very wise people on this forum when it comes to carts! Thanks again for any help.

BCGC

Make sure everything is tight and clean. Batteries are key. Do you know if your batteries are good? The batteries should be 38 volts or more total in the pack. Each battery should be 6.30 volts or more.

BCGC

What are we talking when you say slow, 12 mph? 12 to 15 MPH is average and the golf cart is going to slow down going up hill but should get you to the top.

snaganddrag

Way less, like maybe can push it faster. It may go 2-4 mph on flat ground. It also seems to have one speed, not taking off slow and then getting faster. Reverse is a lot faster then forward on flat ground. When I look at the wiper arm, it makes contact at all copper contacts but the cart does not move until it reaches the third or fourth contact when it goes it goes and only at that speed. Batteries are 6.2 each with pack total, 37.2V. I cleaned all cable connections, and tightened for now, until new cables come in. Thanks.

BCGC

I would of thought it was batteries, sounded like weak batteries or maybe wired wrong. It must bethe controller or maybe pot box? Lookup HotRodCarts or dirtysouth on Cartaholics forum they will get you golf cart going for you. Sorry i couldn't help. :hattip:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You might want to check the motor. If the batteries are good, ALL the cable connections are good, the resistor coils are in good shape and the wiper is making contact on all contacts that's about all that's left.