89 EZGO 3PG HEI Conversion Not Going Well

RxGuy

I was experiencing weak/intermittent spark on my 1989 EZGO 3PG so I did the HEI conversion using a BWD CBE4 ignition control module and a BWD E41 ignition coil and it's not going well. The cart starts up great, runs great for 100 feet or so, then it's like the spark just dies and the engine stalls/cuts out. While the cart is still rolling, if I lift off the gas so that the limit switch on the accelerator cycles off to on again, the cart will restart and run great for another 100 feet. Repeat.....

Initially thought it might be fuel related. So when the motor started to stall, I applied some choke to see if that would keep it running. All it did was load the engine with fuel so that it would backfire upon restart. Checked the fuel pump diaphragms and pressure...both good. Disassembled and cleaned the carb, float was within specs. jets were all clean, no debris. Checked all the fuel lines for crud, replaced both the fuel filters. Reeds are in good shape. Compression is 110.

I have tested the pulsar, 145 ohms, couldn't get a good number on the voltage because I have a digital MM and the display can't keep up, but it fluctuates up to 0.3 volts.

Tried a second ignition control module (same brand) same problems.

Unfortunately I already tossed the old parts. .:wallbash: I guess I could go back to OEM coil and ignitor, but they are not cheap. LOL

Would the coil I have (E41) work with a stock ignitior?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Have you checked to see if it's losing spark when the engine quits running? It's strange that it will run for a 100 feet then die. Possibly one of the new ignition components is bad. There's several threads on the forum by members who have done the HEI ignition conversion so if you have the time do some searching here and you might find some useful information about it. Or hang tight and one of those members may reply with some help. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

RxGuy

Have you checked to see if it's losing spark when the engine quits running?
Appreciate the reply. I have not done this. What's the best way to check for spark when it quits? I can put the cart on jack stands and run it. But the testing part I not quite sure how to do that. Use a timing light?

Here is a video of it running/cutting out on jack stands.

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
An inline spark tester would be the best and easiest way. You can buy one for about $10 or less at most auto parts stores. Or ground a spark plug to the engine with the plug wire connected and crank the engine over to look for spark.

RxGuy

I have the module mounted on a big 1/4" thick piece of angle aluminum to use as a heat sink. I bolted it to the plate that the original ignitor was on. Also used the thermo transfer paste on the bottom of the module for heat transfer. I made sure the module lies flat on the aluminum by drilling out two small holes for the pegs on the module to fit in. Hopefully that is enough. Sorry don't have a picture.

I haven't physically checked the temp though.

The way it behaves....I have tried choking it when the rpm's start to drop, thinking if it was fuel it might help. It doesn't change what it does. Only thing that happens after trying the choke is when I cycle the gas pedal to get it to restart, it backfires because of the extra fuel.

That makes me think it's electrical. The in line spark checker was a great suggestion. Thanks for that!

I did try a second new ignitor, same brand as I first tried with no change. I will try a different brand and see what happens.

Would a stock ignitor, work with the coil I have?

I may just buy an OEM ignitor and coil and revert to the stock setup. Those things are not cheap.....

Unfortunately the cart is about 450 miles from where I am right now at our cabin. The cabin is on an island, and it is not easy to drive to the auto parts store. LOL We are not going back up there for a couple weeks.

Trying to get a game plan ahead of time, and gather what I can.

Thanks for all your help!

RxGuy

Found a little more information about the ignition modules.

The one I used was a BWD CBE4. From reading the info on the website, it looks like the controller chip in the module has changed since the original article on the HEI conversion was posted in 2010. From the website about the new version of the CBE4:

"This family is the most recent. It may become more wide spread since it is likely microcontroller based, and thus far easier/cheaper to alter/improve the product line. Unfortunately, this ability may actually cause headaches for home enthusiasts attempting to use them for unintended purposes as the manufacturer may alter the module's behavior. This means the end user has no way of knowing if the product on the store shelf behaves the same as one purchased previously."

On another forum, there was a member that had the same issues after his HEI conversion that I experienced with mine. He still had the OEM parts, put those back in and the cart was fine.

My ignitor was toast, I will try and Autozone DR100 and see if that works. If not, I will be going back to OEM parts.

Will follow up.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
See if your multimeter has a frequency setting if so try using that also you're reving it real high will it run at low speed

RxGuy

It does the same thing at low speed, runs then dies out like someone cut off the spark. Multimeter doesn't have frequency setting.

Thanks for replying.

RxGuy

Finally got back to where the cart is.

Swapped out the BWD CBE4 ignition module for the Autozone DR100.

Eureka!!!!!!! It runs great.

Thanks every one for the help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That's good news that swapping the BWD CBE4 module for the Autozone DR100 module solved the problem. Thanks for the follow up.