89 EZGO 2 Stroke Gas Won't Start

tharper

I have an 89 EZGO gas 2 stroke, has a new carb, voltage regulator, battery and still will not start. Ran for a little while and then it got hard to start and would back fire when decelerating, now it will not start getting gas and plug is sparking not sure if its enough spark when trying to start it will flood out now. I can hook to jump box and it will start and run. Any help would be great.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the connections at the battery and the ground cable at the frame. You might also want to pull the carburetor and give it a good cleaning.

tharper

Carb is new I have also pulled it and cleaned it, I can get it to start by using a jump box cranked up high, after it starts and runs it will restart after it stops immediately if it sets for a minute it will not start again without jump box. I have went through and checked cables and connections with same results. This thing is kicking my butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tharper

12.1 to 12 .4 It will hold a good charge it drains it trying to start it, it has set for several days and will still have good charge.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
12.1 is pretty low. How low does it drop when you try to start the cart? I would say you either have a battery problem or a starter/generator problem if all the wiring is in order.

EZ-GOnewild

Does this turn-over like it should? Or does it crank slowly? If you are getting it to start with a jump box cranked up I suspect your starter/generator is bad. The extra amperage is making the starter spin but it's only a matter of time until that won't work.
twocents.gif

tharper

Correction I went back and checked the voltage on my battery and it was at 13.2 volts as i tried starting it started dropping after a minute of spinning, It turns over good, could It possibly be the coil and can I check it, When I try to start it and then pull the plug the plug is wet even after trying to start for a short period of time, I have put a new plug in and it does the same thing. What kind of spark should I get from the plug. Could a weak coil possibly be my problem and the jump box increasing it enough to get good fire. Thanks for the help.

EZ-GOnewild

Was this running before you had this problem? Being a 2-stroke you need good compression. Have you done a compression test? If so what were the numbers? Also, the crankcase seals have to be good. Have you checked them?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a new top end should get you up and running if the crank seals are good.

even a new set of rings and gaskets will get you going if the cylinder is not scored to bad

awade87

the problem is (I think) the fuel pump has a cracked diaphram and it leaks into the crank case when it sets and floods the engine, the originals had an extra plastic diaphram, just trade places. a.l.w.

awade87

no valves in a 2-stroke
i'll bet that the fuel pump is leaking into the crankcase, flooding out engine.