87 CC

Kartman

Hi, Looking for some ideas. I have an 87 36volt club car that has been sitting up for about a year. I decided to clean it up and start using it again. A couple of the batteries in the cart tested bad so I replaced all of them. The problem that I have is that when I press the pedal to go forward, there is 2 to 5 second delay before the cart moves. Once it starts gong forward, it is fine. It did not have this issue in the past. Also, If I put the cart in reverse I get the same delay but it will also stutter, like it is not getting continious power. Thanks for any and all help.

JRay

Cartaholic
Besides clean and tight ,i would check all micro switches and solenoids in case you have some sticking. Maybe the resistor coils for bent, touching or broken. Give it a good visual. Those old carts are bullet proof, can't be that much wrong with it.
twocents.gif

Kartman

Ok, I checked all of the connections. I even replaced the 4 wires that run from the motor back to the f r switch, coil, and battery. They were not the best shape. I took the cart for a ride and it started off moving slower than normal then picked up speed. I decided to check out the reverse issue and it did the same thing it has been doing. It started jerking. I can hear a clunking sound coming from the back of the cart when it starts jerking. I thought that maybe this is a byproduct of sitting up for a year so I drove the cart in forward a little more to try to shake out the cobwebs. The cart slowed down again and then started the jerking motion while going forward before coming to a complete stop. I felt the battery wires and the motor, both were hot to the touch.
The batteries are new and at full charge. All of the solenoids are new. All of the connections are clean and tight. Any thoughts?

JRay

Cartaholic
Off the top of my head here, i would say the motor, you say the clunking is from the rear. Brushs in the motor?

Kartman

Ok, all new solenoids, connections clean and tight, replaced all cables that connect to motor. The resistors are not broken or touching. All of the battery cables were replaced about 2 years ago. Took cart for a test drive and it started off ok, kind of slower than normal but seemed ok. After a short bit, the cart slowed and then started jerking with a clunking noise coming from the motor area. I felt the battery cables and motor and both were warm to the touch. It will not do anything other than sit and jerk like it is trying to move, in forward and reverse now, but it will not go. Any ideas?

Kartman

Voltage reads 40 to 41 on full charge. (I am reading with a small el cheapo multimeter). Batteries are new and water level is good in all of them.
I raised the back end of the cart and tried to turn the tires to see how freely they move. I noticed the rear tire on the driver side will rotate about a quarter of a turn and then gets extremely hard to move. I am thinking about droping the motor and see if it will run with no resistance. I also plan to look at the brakes to see if they could be binding. I think I may have fubared one or more of my brand new solenoids on my backyard test drive a few days ago, because now I cant get the cart to do anything. On the bright side, all I have to replace is the brakes, motor, and body at this point and I will have a new 2008 version of a 1987 cart.

JRay

Cartaholic
Get rid of the brake drag first. I don't have a clue how you could have fubared a soleniod?

Kartman

I am going to tap out. Plan on dropping the cart by a repair shop to save what is left of my hair. Thanks for the advice. I will post what I find out at the shop in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

Kartman

Turns out it was the motor. 1987 to 2008. R.I.P.
Good news is I should not have to worry about anything for a while. Everything on the cart is new, with the exception of the go and brake pedals. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
thumbup.gif