86 cc gas will not stay running

shifty8913

new to forum and golf carts and need help. I have a 1986 Club car gas. I bought it used and it has never run right, but I am determined to make it functional again.
It will start and run for a few seconds then loses power down to a barely puttering engine then takes off again.
I have replaced all of the gas lines, fuel filter.
Checked spark and it will shock you pretty good lol.
Do not know what to check next.
Fuel filter does not seem to have much gas in it and is only 1/4 way full.
How much fuel flow should i have coming out of the fuel line to the carburetor.
I have to push the throttle arm over to get it to start.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome Shifty
tip.gif
usaflag1.gif

sounds like it could use a good carb cleaning, the filter will never fill completely. pull the line at the carb and run the starter to make sure some fuel is pumping.

shadowman

yes i agree if its pumping good fuel you may have to yank the carb and give it a good going over.......not an uncommon problem.........................................
cool.gif

shifty8913

Thanks for the advice.
also when changing the supply gas line, I noticed the brass nipple fitting going into the carburator moves back and forth and it looks like there has been some sort of compound wrapped around the fitting. It might be JB weld? My thought is it might have been sucking air and someone tried to seal it?
Any knowledge about this problem?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the loose fitting won't affect the engine from getting enough gas unless its leaking bad but it could be allowing dirt in though. i would pull it off and strip it down and see what your working with, a new replacement may be the best way to go
twocents.gif

shadowman

someone tried to fix that....it should be in there solid but if its not leaking i don,t think it should effect it....................................
cool.gif

shifty8913

After tinkering with this thing I ordered a new carburetor.
While I have been waiting for it to arrive I was viewing the fuel flow diagram for the 86 DS posted on the forum.
It appears the fuel pump has been replaced with another one that does not look like the original.
The fuel lines appear to be hooked up backwards compared to the diagram from the fuel tank to the fuel pump.
Would this allow it to still run, but be causing my problem?

Will other fuel pumps work and do they hook up differently?

What are my fuel pump options for this model gas cart?

The diagram does not show what lines go where on the carburetor end.
Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
most all fuel pumps will have arrows that show direction of flow, all pluse type fuel pumps will work.

shifty8913

Put the new carburetor on and it fired up and runs pretty good. Did not change any linkage adjustments.
What is the best way to know the carb is set correctly?
Also can anyone direct me to a throttle linkage diagram for the 86 DS?
I think I might be missing a grommet or something aroung the nut that holds on the governor rod connector arm piece where the throttle linkage rod also connects.
It appears to have some sloppy play in it?