84 club car trans-axle

bobsusancart

Thanks to HotRodCarts for the diagram on axle removal.
tip.gif
I found the cir-clip but thanks to the diagram I didn't have to take the brake pads off when I removed the axle the second time.
yes.gif
Is there a diagram available for the trans-axle? I think the inner axle bearing bad and I have to remove the axle housing to get to it. Is that bearing pressed in or is it removed simply by removing the axle housing? I've added some details in a previous post (load clicking noise) about how I've come to this conclusion. Also read online that someone bought a manual for $15 on ebay, he was one lucky guy, I can't find one on ebay at any price. Oh yeah, SAE 30 in the trans-axle? I would have guessed something heavier.
unsure.gif
84 club car elec.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a rear end diagram. If I'm not mistaken you need to remove the axle tube and you should be able to tap the old bearing out and the new bearing in.
c2_drive_unit.jpg

bobsusancart

c2_drive_unit.jpg

Wow! That was fast.
thumbup.gif
I guess if I see this right, part #41 is the driver side axle tube and #13 is the bearing I want to replace. Haven't removed the axle tube yet but I don't see that part #40 in there yet, guess I'll find it when I take it apart. The main thing is I can replace the bearing, which isn't too expensive, without a special tool or press. Looks like you need a special tool to get the outer bearing off, I see the retainer and the spring, maybe you could get it off by being creative somehow. Also, looks like the diagram shows bolts and washers holding the axle tube on, mine looks like it's studs and nuts instead. It also looks like I was lucky to be working on the drivers side, the other side looks more complicated. Guess I'll drain the oil and try it tomorrow, do I refill with SAE 30? I remember seeing that somewhere on this site. I think there's something heavier in mine now. Thanks for the quick post, I should have looked at the site this morning.
tip.gif

bobsusancart

Thanks for the advice on the 30 WT oil. My trans varies some from the diagram, the bearing came out fairly easily, but the one in the diagram looks like it only comes out from the inside, lot more work. Your advice was correct, remove the axle tube and the bearing can be pulled out. Also, mine doesn't have that part # 8, upper support bracket I guess. I had to place a jack under mine so that the trans didn't just hang by the other axle when I removed the other axle tube. Now if I can get the gasket and the bearing I'll be back in business. Thanks again for the help.
tip.gif
Without the diagram I probably would not have just taken it apart. I've had bad luck just going blind into repair jobs, it's best to know as much as you can beforehand.
yes.gif
Glad you put the diagram in resource, I'm sure it will help someone else down the road.
thumbup.gif

bobsusancart

I'm pretty sure it will, there's a lot of fine metal coming out of that bearing. It feels rough when you turn it so I think under load it would make a lot of noise. Hope to get the parts and get it back together in a few days, (still have to mow the lawn ya know).
rolleyes.gif
yes.gif

spr

BTW, found you a parts manual, bit pricey, but if you plan on keeping the cart around for awhile it will mostly likely come in handy
wink.gif

bobsusancart

tip.gif
That's not as pricey as others I've seen. I talked to a good mechanic since I found that the bad bearing wasn't the loud noise. He thinks I should get a used trans-axle, because he says the problem is inside the gearbox. Could be another bearing or worn gear or both. I'd like to take the trans-axle apart just to see what's in there. There's a right and wrong way to do that, I don't know where to start, it would be an experiment for me. The place that has the parts manual probably has a repair manual to make the experiment easier. Thanks again.

bobsusancart

That didn't do it, I found a used trans-axle from a later model cart, that will do it but expensive. I still want to take my old one apart to see what's making the noise, probably a bearing or gear or both.
rolleyes.gif

bobsusancart

I found a used trans-axle, noise is gone now. Motor is ok, I guess it was in the gearbox, I'll find out later after I take it apart. Thanks for the reply
tip.gif