81 EZGO 2cycle ec25-2pg Robin Engine Won't Start When Hot

luggknuts

I have an 81 ez go with a 244 cc robin. It will run for a little bit but then quits when I stop. It will not restart. It just sits there and putters....if that is a word. I can adjust the forward and reverse knob slowly back and forth and it will catch every once in awhile and it gets it going. but even after a few times of that it quits. Checked the 12v battery and it is good. It sounds like the more i try to start it the less power going to the motor. we hooked it up to jumper cables to a car and it will turn great but not start. I am at a loss. please help. Need to get it running so I can haul my daughter's jr. dragster at the track. thanks. Matt

luggknuts

Thanks HotRod. I checked compression. it came back at 40psi. sounds about right. I took carb off checked float. it was fine. cleaned carb. new filter coming from gas tank. fuel was getting to the carb bc we took line off and cranked it and it was fine. took it for a spin around and it did ok. seemed to back fire some. loaded it went to the track the next day, it ran one cycle to get the dragster and it went back to the same just chuggin and not movin. Any other suggestions? So much for the good deal i got on it....ha ha ha. thanks. Matt

luggknuts

What is the compression supposed to be at? I thought 40 was good but i saw on another post they had 110 and it was stated that was on the low side. If that is low compression, what could be causing that? thanks.

wslonger

120 psi is considered normal for a 2 cycle, at 40 it's not going to run. You are going to have to do a top end rebuild at the very least.

luggknuts

Well, I took it to a cart guy to get his opinion. It appears that I have to change the seals and rings. He said it would take about four hours to do at $75hr. I almost fainted. So much for being the budget racer. I looked at rebuild kits for it and found a total rebuild kit for $323. Is that a good price? Also he said the drive clutch would need to be replaced. Is there anywhere I can get a rebuilt one or anything close to that as I seem to be dropping more money in this than i am starting to be comfortable with. Thanks for your help. Matt

Also is there anywhere I can get a manual for this year golf cart?

luggknuts

Just an update on this whole thing......I finally tore the motor out and we are now rebuilding it. Quick question.......when I was using a press on the bearing under the flywheel, it broke the aluminum brace that the pulsar coil???? is mounted to. Anyplace I can find a replacement? I swear this cart will be the death of me soon!!!!! thanks for your help.