74 Harley Davidson Play In Connecting Rod

Ewoo6539

Well I just picked up a 74 Harley Davidson 3 wheeler, for $200. I restored one a few years back, and it worked out ok, but after tear down of the engine this one as expected the top end needs to be rebuilt. But it seems to have an awful lot of play in the connecting rod, these have the 2 piece cranks so replacing the connecting rod isnt an easy or cheap project, if parts can even be found. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the allowable play in these engines, if bottom end is shot. I think I will just part it out. Thanks in advance.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
They are a bit loose, is there play when you twist the rod from left to right?

Ewoo6539

Thanks for reply, I just checked and yes unfortunately there is, Im going to go ahead and split the case but dont have much hope, doesn't look like a Rod is available anymore, I know there use to be a oversize crank pin available but can't find that either.

Ewoo6539

Split case and it seems the biggest issue is the crank pin bearing and possibly the rod, the bearing is available but the rod is not, I have to purchase a complete crankshaft for 375.00, that's going to put me at about 600.00 for a complete rebuild doesn't leave much room to make the cart cool. I wish the oversized crank pin bearing was still available it would save me about 300.00.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I did some searching and found two places that showed they carried the .003 oversized bearing but when I clicked it they were listed as no longer available. It's a shame these older golf cart parts are getting so hard to find. I wonder if a place like Bearing Headquarters has something that would work?

Ewoo6539

Yeah it's making it hard, by using the numbers off the bearings I can usually find bearings and seals much cheaper if it doesn' have the words golf cart attached to it. I found all the other bearings but have no numbers to go by for crank pin bearing, the cage is that worn.