72 volt ezgo

rhgc

Has anyone ever done an ezgo 72 volt conversion? I know it would involve a lot of heavy duty upgrades like FandR, motor, complete wire job, controler. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in such a big conversion? If so can ya give me a few ideas where to get the parts?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

What year is your cart?
You would need a 72 volt controller, Alltrax would be my recommendation.
All cables changed to 2 ga.
HD buss bars in the forward and reverse switch.
72 volt solenoid.
Batteries and a charger, I would use six 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
The stock motor will work with 72 volts but you could always use a after market motor also.
Their's a few carts I know of running 72 volts. One of them is Andy's "Mud Buggie" I'm sure he can offer you advice on the upgrade when he sees this thread.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Meltravis is running 72 in an old marketeer. I don't think he changed anything, coil etc. He may be running 48 with 24 on stand by.

rhgc

it will be a 2005 ezgo. the only motors I know of are for 36 or 48 volt. 72 volts wont burn it up?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
To a point its not voltage that kills the motor it's the RPM. The stock EZGO series motor is rated for a max of 8000 RPM. I wouldn't run one at 8000 RPM to long but that's what they're rated at. A stock cart only runs at approx 2800 RPM so their's a lot of room to up the voltage. I've seen quite a few carts running 72+ volts with the stock 36 volt motor.
If you do go with a aftermarket motor I'd suggest a D&D