48 volt horn problem on 2015 Clubcar Precedent Electric

Anthony M Fuqua

Hello, I recently direct connected a 48 volt horn to the battery bank of six eight volt batteries. A simple horn button breaks the positive wire and is a normally open swiths. Meaning it is open all tgt time and closes upon pressing the button.
My problem is if I am driving the cart and press the horn button the solenoid clicks and almost like it is putting the motor in a heavy Regen braking mode. And even sometimes not moving you can hear the solenoid clicks upon pressing the horn button also. What is causing this, please help.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
To me it sounds like you hooked in series with the solenoid Hook it directly to the batteries that should solve all your problems

Anthony M Fuqua

I hooked the horn directly to the positive and negative batteries that give the 48 volts or better.
The main positive battery cable goes to the 400 amp solenoid first as well, then to the controller. I have installed a XCT 500 amp Alltrax controller and 400 amp MZJ super duty solenoid . What do I do then now?

Diode

I’m not sure I understand could you draw a small schematic also how much amperage does this horn draw

Diode

This statement is what bothers me
The main positive battery cable goes to the 400 amp solenoid first as well, then to the controller.

Anthony M Fuqua

The main positive battery post is connected to the solenoid. When I hooked up the 48 volt horn, I hooked it directly to the main positive and negative battery posts , with the horn switch on the positive wire to the horn .

Anthony M Fuqua

I found this reply on Buggies gone wild.

If this is a 48 volt RXV, you absolutely NEED to have a DC/DC converter or you will be setting yourself up for major long term problems.... The controller on those cars is VERY sensitive to unbalanced battery power and drawing power for the lights will cause the controller to engage the Electric brake at exactly the wrong moment thereby throwing you into the steering wheel while at full speed.... it doesn't tickle......
This is exactly what happens when I press the horn button. Needless to say, I will be hooking up a DC/DC converter. I have searched for days to find the answer. The world wide web is not as impressive as it used to be. It seems to restrict the questions we all seek. As many people In the world you think on the internet we could find the exact same problem easily.
Thank you for your help, Sincerely Anthony M. Fuqua.

Diode

I guess anything is possible but A one amp load on 500 amp batteries, the controller should not see a difference. Unless the batteries are drained, so what happens when the DC to DC converter pulls one amp ?

Diode

Another cheap fix might be to put a diode across the horn from positive to negative with the Diode band on the positive you may be getting spikes on the powerlines shutting the controller down That would make a lot more sense to me
Oh I’ll bet they also told you who to buy it from didn’t they

bogman

Cartaholic
My first thought was why get a 48v horn when a 12v would work just as well. Then I'm thinking the horn must be bad causing almost a dead short across the pack or pulling too many amps.

Anthony M Fuqua

I am going to put a 12 volt horn on. I just got the 48 volt horn so I didn't have to get a voltage converter. Trying to be easier isnt always easiest.
Also I am getting the voltage converter, to hook the led headlights up to because they were hooked into two of the eight volt batteries which is not good. That was done at the place I bought the cart. I am reading this morning about diodes. I appreciate your knowledge,and help.