48 volt Club Car Solenoid and Battery Charger

oldcartfart

hi' old cart fart here. I just picked up a 48 volt Club Car serial # a9739-609692 from a young man down the road. He said when it was last ran the solenoid had to be jumped. This was approx. 3 months ago. the battery pack was reading almost dead but the lights came on. I plugged the battery charger in and the battery light on the dash came on the lights got brighter then the charger made a clicking sound still humming but no power to lights or dash like it died. Does this golf cart have a OBC? I did not see one. The charger is humming. I will be ordering new solenoid for it but there seems like there are 2 should I replace both? Not sure what the other one is used for. I was going to hook up a 24 volt charger to the pack to see if that would bring the pack up for an OBC charger but not sure why everything lost power? Thanks for any help the forum has helped a lot.

oldcartfart

hi' thanks for the reply. I stuck my head in under the seat. spotted the o.b.c. . split the pack and charged with a 24 volt charger to bring them up some. the young man I bought the cart from said he used it almost a year by jumping the selenoid and it would,nt jump and or do anything the last time he went to use it. I ordered a new selenoid and I started to remove the rear seat kit and body so i can get a better veiw and to check it all out. but some snow and cold put that on the back burner for awhile. what kind of damage could be causedd by constantly jumping the selenoid on these carts. I was told by a dealer if it was dead I would have to charge it if possible to see if the o.b.c. could be reset but that wont really help until i change the selenoid. and i dont want to dump a lot of money in this to find out the controller or v- glide or the motor is shot. Can I hook the motor up like i do on my old cushmans to a 12 volt battery. to do a low volt test or is there a special way to hook up a regen motor?
dazed053.gif
I found the wiring diagram that will be a big help. but these newer carts are still hard to figure out. thanks for any help . o.c.f.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes you can test the motor with a 12 volt battery. If the cart runs with the solenoid jumped your motor is fine. As far as the batteries go you need to get them up to 38-40 volts or more then try the carts charger.

Testing a SepEx, Regen, Shunt Motor:
To test a SepEx, shunt wound regen motor you jump the S1 to A1 and the S2 to A2 terminals. This is two separate connections. Take 12V positive and hook to the S1/A1 combination and 12V negative goes to the S2/A2 combination.

If the motor spins it's good...

oldcartfart

hi' thought i'd update pushed in the garage when wife was at work wont do nothing. when i hook everything back up. batteries not taking a charge to well still splitting the pack at 24 volt will have to get new ones =. wont move or do anything when selenoid is jumped. checked cables they are tight, no headlights or tailights motor will spin with a 12 volt have not put new selenoid on yet ran out of time and kerosene so no heat. pushed it out side 10 deg. below wind chill but still trying to charge the pack. thanks for the reply later o. c. f.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Your going to have to get that voltage up to around 38-40 volts before the carts charger will turn on. If you only have 24 volts nothing is going to work including the lights if the cart has a voltage reducer for the accessories.

oldcartfart

HI' thought i would update my progress. batteries are shot , swapped controller out with a friends cart and it is not working. I had replaced the bad solenoid and hooked up 4-12volts nothing. that is why I swapped it out. I have a 36 volt motor from an 85 i picked up was thinking about swapping motors out. are the splines the same? I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to. but i cant afford a new controller and all my other carts are 36 volt old school. So i am either making it a 36 volt or it is going to go. I don't know about the newer carts but the motor I have is a 19 spline shaft. any ideas on the newer one's? thanks old cart fart.

oldcartfart

hi' thanks for the reply. looks like i change it all over or get rid of it. think I'll sell it for parts since it as a backseat kit and top i should get what i paid for it . thanks you saved me a teardown. O.C.F.