36v to 12v inverter? Needed?

cobraclay

Ok, i am adding a few options to my cart, and I'm being told its best to install a 36 volt to 12 volt inverter. Is this needed? And if so where would I find one? Im adding front and rear lights, a radio, a battery meter gauge, an cell phone charger source, and thats it as far as power options go. Whats the best way to do this? And if the inverter is needed, how much does something like that normally run? Thanks in advance...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

The inverter coverts DC to AC or AC to DC. What you would need need is a voltage reducer or a extra 12 volt battery to power all your accessories.

I like to use a 12 volt deep cycle battery for accessories. A voltage reducer will work but it still draws power from the golf carts battery pack.

What type of cart do you have?

cobraclay

Sorry forgot to mention...I have an 03 ezgo txt standard upgraded in 06 w/J5 batteries. Only options it currently has is the back seat that folds to a diamond plate bed, i will be picking up these upgrade kits tomorrow, how much would a good 12v deep cycle battery run? I may get that if its cheaper than $75. Thats what he was going to give me the inverter for. Actually im getting a package deal, an inverter, Sony marine grade radio and 2-sony marine grade speakers, a set of 4-leaf HD springs, a 5 wire 4-gauge cable set, and a factory led style meter gauge and plate, all new for $300. Sounded like a good deal to me, and actually he found me a burlwood dash for $75, i was going to offer $350 for everything. Sound good to you? And im going to get the body pulled painted and reinstalled for $200. Let me know if any of this sounds high, or good, im planning to meet tomorrow after work to pick up everything. Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A group 24 12 volt deep cycle will fit nicely in your cart under the seat behind the charger receptacle. Cost will be around $50.00 and up depending on the brand. The last one I bought was a Interstate and I think it was 60 bucks. Make sure he's selling you a 36v-12v voltage reducer. Like a mentioned before the inverter isn't what you need to install the 12 volt accessories.

It sounds like a pretty good deal on the parts you mention. On the 4 guage cables you should change all 6 guage to 4 guage for the full benefit of the larger cables. If your cart is a E-Z-GO TXT fleet cart it has 13 cables that should be changed. Is sounds like he's only giving you the 5 battery cables. If the 5 battery cables on the cart now are in good shape you may want to pass on them or ask him about a complete set for all the cables.

$200.00 is a very good deal on the paint job including R&R of the body. Materials alone would be close to that for a GOOD paint job. Have you seen any other carts painted by him? I'd be sure he does decent work before letting him do the paint job...

cobraclay

Thanks for the heads up on both forums...I will def ask about the whole kit.

I bought a light kit from this guy, he used to work at a cart shop, and i think he was starting his own options business and it didnt pan out, he was getting rid of this stuff its either his or one of his buddies, anyway, when i met him to get the light kit, i asked about the paint, and he called his partner/buddy while i was standing there and asked what he could get his cost on a paint job from their painter and he said $150 for base clear and as long as the body didnt need any work other than minor sanding etc. So he said he would let me get it done at cost and he would swap the body for me for $50. I priced it everywhere else and it was like $400-$500, so Im going with him, and i wont pay till i see the paint job.

Thanks for all the help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, your welcome...

Keep us updated on the cart and feel free to start a thread in the members carts section with some pics...