36 Volts to 48 Volt Upgrade Burnt Up My Motor

Poolguy74

Well I think the 36 volts to 48 volt upgrade on my EZGO electric golf cart burnt up my motor. The golf cart would jerk a few times and then nothing. I let it cool for an hour it would go about 10 feet, which got it on the trailer. Got it home and nothing. Reverse alarm sounds, and have two red bars flashing on battery meter but no movement. Ran it less than 1/2 my normal ride when this happened. Haven,t had time to test anythng yet. Work keeps getting in the way. So were should I start?Oh yea 05 pds converted to 48v ,stock motor, 500amp Altrax, upgraded all wires. Charging Gorno style. Also wondering if "The Beast" will work on pds?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Start with the basics. Check ALL you cables and connections. Look for signs of heat on the cable connections. Check the battery voltages. The red lights flashing on the battery meter are a sign on a battery problem or a bad connection...

Poolguy74

Ok I checked all my conections and such found nothing. Dropped the motor loose and it has a stronger oder than my bbq pit, think it is bad! So back to my question will "the Beast" GE motor work on my EZGO PDS golf cart? I'm not to morried about speed but I need torque.

Poolguy74

So did I screw up when I made it 48 v. It ran supper strong for a day then this.
Just trying to figure out what to do know. I am going to order a 12hp from cartzone.
But do I need to go back to 36 volts. :dazed:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What kind of controller do you have? On a PDS cart or any SepEx system if the controller isn't mapped correctly to the motor you'll have problems with the motor burning up at any voltage. Without knowing what the 12HP motor is you mentioned it's hard to say. If you have a Alltrax controller your best bet would be to contact them and give them the motor manufacture information and the exact specs on the motor. Or talk with someone at cartzone to find out what the motor is capable off...

Poolguy74

Thanks hot rod . I will have to contact cartzone to get the specs and will discuss it with them. I have a 500amp alltrax that is programable. figured once I got the motor in might contact a locale shop and see if they can adjust it properly or give me what the setting need to be.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The mapping has to be done by Alltrax or they have to send you the code. It's actually written to a ROM chip in the controller. Like updating a BIOS on a computer...