36 volt to 48 volt

matts

have a 1989 36volt without the electronic controller. I heared I can hook up 2 more 6volt batteries and it will work without doing anything else. Is this true or will it burn up the motor? thought about puting a new electronic controller, but the old system is simple and I can always fix it in a pinch.

dougmcp

48v on a resistor cart is generally a short time before you burn out the resistors or throttle.
I would say if you are not prepared for the controller conversion, 48v may not be a good option for you.
What are you trying to accomplish? More speed, torque?
Is the cart lifted with large tires or does it have a rear seat?
Is it for hunting or neighborhood cruiser?

matts

I was planning on going with an electric controller but the resistors are so easy and simple. it is lifted with 20 inch tires. I use it mainly in a campground and kids drive it around the farm. it looses alot of power on inclines and sand. not to mention the 48volt just seem to last longer on a charge.

dougmcp

It really makes no difference whether the cart is 36v or 48v if it is running with a controller.
The biggest difference is between resistor carts and controller carts, resistor carts have a shorter run time. The resistor cart is much simpler n design but the controller cart is a much more efficient use of available power.
A controller cart varies it's speed and power by the application of the throttle and supplying power when it's required.
A resistor cart basically applies full power all the time and is regulated by the number of resistors across the power supply.
The difference between the two is like driving your car with the throttle to control the speed (controller) vs driving your car at full throttle and controlling the speed with the brake (resistors).
IMO, if you are satisfied with the speed and power of your cart and simply want more run time, it would be less expensive for you to convert your cart to a 36v controller. If you need more speed or power, have the motor rewound for the purpose.
With a lift and large tires you should consider using a controller that is at least 400amps.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
bgood.gif