36 Volt EZGO TXT Street Legal Need Speed

Eldon

I would like to add a lift kit to my cart and need the speed up to 25-30 mph. Im also looking to make it street legal. I have ATV's for hunting but new rules will not allow ATV's, only street legal vehicles so I need to build for hunting and be street legal. Its a 98 EZGO TXT 36 volt.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

Is your cart a DCS or fleet? You'll be able to tell which drive system you have be looking for a run / tow switch on the controller cover.

rdnktrkr

I went to 48V as far as pulling hills I like it but I need more agressive tires for the mud. You could also look into using 6 12 volt batteries for 72 volts and get a LOT more torque and speed.

Eldon

If I went to 72 volts 2awg cables would be a given. What amp controler should be used, and whould this cause the motor to over heat? 72 volts is what I thought about doing. Would I need to change motors?

Andy4639

I would check on getting all of these components if considering 72 volts.

Controller 450 amp at least
Motor: High torque
selonoid 80 amp at least
Batteries
Cables # 2 at least

Eldon

Has anyone here changed to 72 volts? How well does it hold the charge? What brand batteries would be the best? If I hooked the batteries up at 72 volts and used a 36 volt charger and split the battery bank into 2 36 volt banks for charging only would this work or should I look for a new charger? Lets say a motor is rated @ 2500rpms with 36 volts what would you guess at 72 volts.

Andy4639

Yes, I have now for 3 years I've been running 72 volts. You can slpit the batteries up into two banks ...that's what I do. I use the same charger on each bank also so the charge is the same on both banks.
I can go all day at the beach riding mine and that's pretty good riding at full speed most of the time which is about 20 MPH.
I have 6 -12 volts group 31's.
I had a 36 volt motor that turned 4600 RPM'S and I blew a hole in it on 72. I slung it a part from the inside out. Very nasty and costley.

Eldon

I love it I can see it now the look on your face running at speeds a golf cart has never seen before, a big smile to a box of parts, it just stinks to learn the hard way. I would like to see 25-30 mph. what motor have you found to hold up the best. And I know they have rear end gear kits for gas carts do they have them for electric carts, if so whats you thoughts on a high torque motor and gearing up the rear end so I don't need 8000 rpm.

Andy4639

I'm using the stock rear end and 20" tires. D&D motor built for 72 volts. I love it. The motor I blew the armature apart on was running around 45MPH when it came apart. I had water running out of my eye's before the motor let go. They turned to tears quickly there after!

Eldon

Andy, I like the tires on the mud buggy. I need to pull the controller off my cart to see what size it is, there are no numbers visable stating amps but its an alltrax programable. Do you like the D&D motor? I also need to check out my rear end I had a drunkin Idea to cross the ditch full of water with my cart and got it stuck. after that it has made a grinding noise that drives me nuts. I'm going to pull the motor and roll the cart to see if its the motor or the rear end. Have you ever had water do this to your carts?

Andy4639

I really like the D&D motor. I think it's the motor of choice for the money.
Sorry haven't ever tried going swimming with my cart before. :D