36 volt and 48 volt Battery Charger

skinsfan

Hi! We are looking at a used golf cart to purchase. The serial # of the cart is A9939-808480. The motor model # is 5BC59JBS6194D. Can anyone tell us what year model this is? Also, we currently have a 36 volt E-Z-GO. This cart is a 48 volt. Can we use the same battery charger if we replace the connector to fit? Thanks in advance!

dougmcp

Your cart is a 1999, likely a DS model, series cart, if it has the big F-N-R shifter under the driver's right knee. If it has a rocker switch to change F-R then it is a regen cart.
If the charger you have is 36v, it will not charge a 48v cart. You also cannot use a 48v charger to charge a 36v cart.

skinsfan

Now that we have established that it is a 1999 DS Series that I don't have a 48 volt charger for....any leads to an outfit that sells used chargers at a reasonable price? Thanks again!

dougmcp

For a used 48v charger, I would look locally on Craigslist, in the cart forums for sale sections and finally a dealer.
New 48v 3 stage chargers are about $240.

skinsfan

Thanks...I can't find the $240 model but I found a Thunderbull on ebay for 275 plus shipping. That leads to another question. While I was looking on one site they said that I would need to add a bypass wire to my cart to circumvent the OBC. This was for a charger that had a 36v-48v switch on it. Is this something I would have to do with the Thunderbull or any other charger that isn't made by Club Car?

dougmcp

These are 3 stage chargers, the best technology currently available and much better than the ferro resonant charger I have. I'm changing my 42v to 48v next year and would like to hear your satisfaction level with this charger after you get it. Please keep us informed.

skinsfan

Doug
Well I lied. By the time I got around to ordering the charger we talked about, I found another one on Ebay.
It is a Club Car PowerDrive 48v charger. It should arrive sometime in the coming week. It was advertised in excellent condition with a "Buy it now" price of $175.00 with free shipping.

This brings about a new question....
It seems that this charger is somewhat newer than my 99 DS. Will I be able to just "Plug and Play"? Meaning, will my OBC communicate with this charger?