3 - 12 volt vs 6 - 6 Volt Batteries

Beagler

Understanding that my storage for run time would be cut in half using 3 - 12 volt batteries vs 6 - 6 volt batteries. Knowing that when I use the cart it is never more than a total of 2 hrs run time in any day! Very often much less. And also knowing that my running conditions seems to have an adverse effect on the batteries. (using for small game hunting) Basically moving from one area of cover to another and hauling dogs back to truck at end of day. (often rough terrain) Is it possible that 3 12 volt batteries will have enough run time to get the job done.
Or as the coon hunters would say. He's barking up the wrong tree! Am I barking up the wrong tree? Has any body done this? Not trying to be cheap but 6 batteries every 3 years is going to eat up a lot of cash.. Thanks guys..:hattip::usa:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the three 12 volt batteries instead of six 6 volt batteries will work but I doubt you'll get 2 hours of run time with the three 12 volt battery setup. Also the overall life time of the 12 volt batteries will be a lot shorter than 6 volt batteries so in the long run you really don't save any money. There's no way I would use three 12 volt batteries on a 36 volt hunting cart. :twocents:

Beagler

I guess deep down I knew that but being an amateur at electric carts I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks Hot Rod! I guess I will just have to bite the bullet. My use while often around the house and Saturdays during small game season is still so little that in 3 years I add water only 3 times and each time it was well above plates prior to adding. in other words adding very little each time. However the use for hunting can bounce the cart quite a bit and some pretty steep grades with 2 men and some times 4 dogs. 500 pluss lbs. If not running it was always on charger. Plates were never exposed.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I think you'll be happier with the six 6 volt batteries in the long run. I'd buy 6 new Trojan T-105's if it was mine.

Hillside Hauler

If you don't deeply disharge the 12V batteries and charge daily they will last, maybe half as long. If you deeply discharge they won't.The lighter cart would use less energy to move and be faster (lghter) especially up hills. The other reason that 8V and 6V batteries are used besides run time and lower discharge is that the plates are THICKER for longevity. The weight of the thick plates must be distributed among more batteries so each battery does not get too heavy and expensive. I would install 12V except I use my cart for dirt compaction and the extra 400 lbs from 6V batteries makes it compact much better.

The notion that one has to use 6V or 8V batteries is from all day golfing,

Roy Gurley

Cartaholic
I would stay with 6 Trojan's I would think at most on 3 [12's] it would give you maybe a hour if you were lucky! Also tie downs on the 3 might be a problem cause of the off-road use.

Beagler

Thanks for the input from all. While I realize this is against manufactures recommendation. I chose to replace the two obvious compromised batt and try that. A side note about that is Strangely enough after charging all six batt using 36 volt charger. The 4 older ( 3 year old ) Batt. came up to 6,5 volts and the 2 brand new Batt only came up to 6.2 volts????? Will be putting the cart to a test tomorrow for an all day of Beagles and Bunnies. Going to try and record exactly actual run time.

Beagler

Used Cart yesterday the 17th. It seemed to be much better. However , Whenever I went to use it when it was in gear and I turned the key on it lunged forward. Same in reverse. (We often over the last 3 years moved the cart along with the hunters. and left key on. ) During the day yesterday the key didn't turn off power so we had to put in neutral when ever we parked it. End of at dark wouldn't u know. loaded dogs to head back to truck. Put in gear and hit throttle. (Nothing)! Got it back to house and checked voltage ! All batt had 6.2 or over and 39 across all 6 batt. When hitting throttle, you could hear a slight noise and slightly feel the solenoid click . At this point it seamed like the key was working. Will be checking key switch for continuity. And probably change out solenoid. Also check for bare wires. But my question is, could it be any of those micro switches like that one in the wiper are box . I'm thinking this problem has existed for a while and is directly related to my batt drain issue. Had I not had the brake off when I turned the key on I would not have known about the slight lunge . So imagine parking the cart under hunting conditions almost always in an area with some slope ,putting the brake on and not turning the key off. Slight draw on batt for a couple hrs at a time repeatedly for an entire day.:dazed:How long has this been going on?:dazed: Any and all thought!

Beagler

Thanks Hot Rod! When you say could be micro switch, are you meaning the one in the v glide or on Forward Reverse switch? Is that solenoid readily available at an auto parts store or is it golf cart specific?

Beagler

Was trying to put this where Beagler Member pic goes but don't know what the heck I'm doing.:dazed:

Attachments

• Beagle Buggy.jpg
    Beagle Buggy.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 5

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks Hot Rod! When you say could be micro switch, are you meaning the one in the v glide or on Forward Reverse switch? Is that solenoid readily available at an auto parts store or is it golf cart specific?
The solenoid needs to be a golf cart solenoid. The golf cart solenoids are continuous duty and automotive solenoids aren't.

Was trying to put this where Beagler Member pic goes but don't know what the heck I'm doing.:dazed:
If you're talking about your avatar click on your name at the top of the forum and move your cursor over the avatar and a edit button will appear. Click the edit button and it will allow you to change your avatar to any picture you'd like.

If you want to add the picture to the member carts section in the media gallery click on the media tab, then members carts, then click the add file button and you'll be able to upload the picture there.

Beagler

Thanks again Hot Rod ! I have a second cart that I can grab the solenoid off of just for testing purposes.. Should I get a heavy duty solenoid and would that work on both 36 volt and 48 volt carts

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need to get the right voltage for each cart. I've seen people use a 36 volt solenoid on a 48 volt cart but I would recommend using the correct voltage solenoid. It wouldn't be a bad decision to use a heavy duty solenoid on a lifted cart. :twocents:

Beagler

Up and running! Was the solenoid. Took one off of other cart> Now that I know that I will be ordering a heavy duty one for permeant replacement.
Looks like white wire going to solenoid got quite hot and melted insulation on wire back a little less than a quarter inch. Did a quick inspection and tightened or maybe a better word would be snugged up a couple wires . The only one that appeared to need tightened was were the two white wires are connected by a bolt through the v glide. It is obvious this cart could use some TLC it in fact has been used and in some cases used in harsh conditions for 3 years and has been virtually bullet proof till just recently. Doing the gear reduction has allowed me to go places in the woods where there are no paths. Keeping tire pressure low allows me to cross logs as big as 4" in diam. as long as you can hit them at a 90 deg angle. Thanks to all on advice and input. :thumbsup: Hot Rod :thumbsup: Diode :thumbsup: Happy Carting! :hattip: :usa: