24 HP Honda woes

Grizzley

Any of you guys with the 24 HP have compression coming out of the oil filler plug/valve cover? I do! Enough to pop the plug out as I unscrew it. And it runs like crap. Idles good but when you give it the throttle it runs like crap. Any ideas or suggestions?
Gregg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Doesn't sound good. I'd start with a compression test. Also I believe the Honda 24 has a PCV valve. I'd replace that if the compression is good. Good luck I hope it's nothing serious
unsure.gif

Grizzley

Not much if any Frank, what would cause enough compression to blow your thumb off the hole in the valve area? I've seen engines with a little blowby but this is rediculous. This engine has less than 100 hours on it. And doesn't smoke a drop.
Gregg

WALKNTALL

If its not your pcv valve like HRC mentioned, its not a good out look. But I bet its the valve. If you end up trying to use your warranty, try to find a good ole boy lawnmower shop. Honda is as bad as Ford trying to get things covered with warranty. Honda turned me down on a starter that crapped.

Frank

Grizzley

Compression Check:
I've got 90 psi at crank over,
120 during idle,
as the engine revs the compression drops below 90. If you let it idle back down it goes back to 120
Sounds crazy to me!
Gregg

Grizzley

Nope... sending it to the honda shop this week! Still under warranty!
I will let ya know what it was when I get it back.
Gregg

Grizzley

UPDATE; local honda shop says they cant find anything wrong with my engine, it passed all the tests that they ran on it. I hate to ask, but would some of you Honda 24 owners do a little test for me? With your engine running, unscrew the oil filler cap and see if your engine has a lot of compression coming out of the hole. Mine will blow the plug out of your fingers, so watch for that. Also if anyone has a compression tester handy, check compression at idle(with engine around 800 to 1000 RPM) and just above idle(1300-1450 RPM). The service manager says he doesnt know if that(the symptoms that my engine has) is normal or not. At idle the compression coming from the oil filler hole will blow your hair back, and the compression at idle is around 125psi. When you idle it up, it drops back past 70. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Gregg

Grizzley

Yes, they have checked all of that, and ran every test that the Honda Factory told them to. Still no problems show up. He was testing a Club Car that they sell to see if the compression does the same thing that mine does. It has a similar honda engine. I will let you know tomorrow what he says.
Gregg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I just checked this out on my Honda generator. It has the GX620 20hp v twin and it has no blow by at all. It actually has a little suction. All I hear is a gurgling noise which I assume is the oil flying around.

Grizzley

Then there is really something bad wrong with my engine. The service manager told me that if they tear it down and cant find anything wrong, I have to pay for the cost of labor. But now I am sure that something is wrong inside the engine. I am going to tell him to tear it down tomorrow.
I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks Rod.
Gregg

Grizzley

Well today I spent over 2 hours on the phone talking to various different Honda Dealers and service techs and I am informed that it probably is a weak coil misfiring. And it has been doing so since I purchased the engine. I just thought they were a cold natured beast and took a while to warm up. But, anyway, the misfiring has caused the unspent gas to "wash away" the lubrication from the cylinder and scored the wall enough to cause a 30 to 35 psi difference in the front and rear cylinder. As of right now, Honda is going to replace the coil and re-ring the piston. I will keep everyone informed of the progress or non progress.
Gregg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Good deal. I'm glad they are going to take care of it for you. I was worried they wouldn't find any problems and you would have to pay for the tear down.
ohmy.gif

I know their was another guy who had problems with the coil on his Honda V-Twin also but can't remember who.

Grizzley

Another UPDATE: The Honda shop couldnt get it to missfire so MTA dist. in Tenn. wouldnt ok the re-ring or the new coil. The engine is back at home now sitting in my garage. They couldnt find anything wrong and charged me 20 bucks! I am going to re-install the engine and see if it missfires, if so I will be sure that they can find the problem!(wink wink say no more) PM me if anyone has any ideas.
Gregg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Well that sucks! They tell you they found the problem but then back out on fixing it. Even if it didn't misfire it has a scored cylinder that should be fixed under warranty. Keep us posted.