2014 Yamaha YDRE Sparks When Attaching Cable

Charlie-o

2014 YDRE I replaced battery set and when I attached cable to complete circuit got good spark. After finding that the cable sparked, I started to look for a problem! Could not find anything, so I replaced the Solonoid! When I switch from tow mode to ( On Line, I will call it ) I hear what I think sounds like the Solonoid clicking in and out. I have tried to find where there could be a short in in the wires going to the solonoid control voltage, but haven't found anything! Any help would be apreciated! Charlie-o

Zman

Cartaholic
What is the pack voltage? where the old batteries completely dead? when you changed the solenoid is the back small control wire touching the positive battery cable? list the answers please

big mack

Cartaholic
Do you have a voltage reducer 48 v to 12 v? If you do when you connect or disconnect from the batteries it will spark. Don't ask why all I know is they do. Always have tow run switch in tow when doing anything with batteries

Charlie-o

Zman, thanks for the reply- I checked the voltage this AM (43 volts), I did not check the old Batts when I changed them, cart wouldn't go very far at all then would stop, after charging, the same would happen. New Batts installed around the 1st of the year, but, I have had this problem since. Have not attached charger since installing new Batts. The answer to the last question- no can't find where anything is shorted, but, I think that is what it has to be!

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I'd say at 43v right now the batteries are dead. They should be charged quite often.

Some carts have quite a parasitic draw. I like to install a heavy main disconnect switch.

Charlie-o

My problem is when I connect the last cable in the circuit I get that spark! So I haven't wanted to attach that cable. Without that cable hooked up I can't attach battery charger! Does that make any sense?

Patrick L

Cartaholic
My problem is when I connect the last cable in the circuit I get that spark! So I haven't wanted to attach that cable. Without that cable hooked up I can't attach battery charger! Does that make any sense?

I understand, it does make sense. But that cable needs to be attached. Its difficult to tell without seeing just how big the spark is.

Charlie-o

Thanks for your reply! when the (tow) switch is on, I hear what sounds like the solonoid clicking in and out! Key is off!

big mack

Cartaholic
Charlie-o Is this cable a 12 ga wire or a 4 ga battery cable? If you can't hook it up how is the solenoid clicking without power? Have you traced the wire that sparks to where it comes from?

Charlie-o

It is the Batt. cable! You can hook it up, without any spark with the tow switch off, then when it is turned on you hear the clicking sound that sounds like the solonoid!

Zman

Cartaholic
You should never hook up a cable with the TOW/RUN switch in RUN !!! Bad for controller if you spike it you can burn it out. Solenoid should never click in TOW position! The spark from cable is some sort of aftermarket voltage reducer or some other electrical device that has been added. If not you have a serious problem and i recommend you take it to a Yamaha dealer for repairs.