2013 Club Car Precedent OBC and ERIC Battery Charger

kenwmey

I've been reading of lot of the posts on this forum and it's been hugely helpful with information about my 2013 Club Car Precedent. I bought this cart used this past month and it's super nice, but I kept getting a yellow flashing light error when I plugged in the ERIC battery charger. If I ran the batteries down some, and then plugged in the charger, it would charge for a while and then give me the error. The cart is fully charged and runs great. I even have head lights and rear lights with 12V interface and 2 USB chargers.

I talked to two local distributors in the Dallas/Tyler area, and when I mentioned I had an OBC with the ERIC, they both said I didn't have an OBC. After research here and a few other places, I've determined I absolutely do have an operational OBC, which is what's probably giving my charger the error message. I'm assuming if I bypass the OBC, the ERIC should do the work for maintaining a proper charge. I also assume I could keep the OBC and get another charger that works with the OBC.

My question is, should I bypass the OBC and keep the ERIC, or keep the OBC and trade in the ERIC for a different charger.

Thanks for all the helpful input - I'm really glad I found this place. Me and electrons are on different planets!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The E.R.I.C. battery charger comes with 2014 and newer Club Cars without a OBC. If your golf carts serial number starts with JE it doesn't have a OBC and the ERIC battery charger is what it should use. If your golf cart is a 2013 and the serial number doesn't begin with JE either you have the wrong charger or someone converted it to use the ERIC charger. You may be able to bypass the OBC and use the ERIC but I can't say for sure that will work. Someone else may chime in with more information on this. If it was my golf cart I would get the correct battery charger. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

kenwmey

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. My serial # is PH1330- etc, so that tells me it's a 2013 vintage. I can see the OBC, so I know it has one and I also checked it to see if it was working and it was. I'm going to call the distributor in Dallas and get his input. Again, thanks to the owners of this forum. I'll be a constant lurker and a seldom poster.:clubcar:

kenwmey

First he told me I couldn't have an OBC and an ERIC. I assured him I did. Then he laughed and said I had the wrong charger. He wasn't committed on suggesting a fix, other than buying a Lester from him that is compatible with the ERIC. He did say to try the bypass and try it, but be prepared to put the OBC back in line.

kenwmey

Thanks all for the input. I bypassed the OBC and the ERIC has finally completed the charge like it's supposed to. I just ran a 12 ga wire from the black coming off the receptacle to the B6 negative. That seems way easier than doing it the way the DYI guy did it on youtube. I'm now a happy camper and can concentrate on golfing!