2012 Carryall 2 Main Positive Battery Keeps Going Bad

golfcartshopnf

Good morning from Florida!
This cart has come in the shop several times lately for stopping suddenly while driving. Each time, the main positive battery has been much lower than the rest. A couple times, I was able to discharge and recharge the battery and it tested fine afterwards, the third time it happened, I replaced the battery with a brand new one, and now not even 2 weeks later, the cart was brought in again and this time I can't even get a voltage reading from the battery at all.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Zman

Cartaholic
How old are the other batteries? If they are taking longer to charge up than the new one do you suppose you may be cooking the new battery and it has failed?

Rstaley

Cartaholic
There is nothing unique about the battery that is iin the highest of the pack (B+). However, many times I had similar situations only to find out that the wire coming from the charge receptacle was not connected to the right terminal. It was always mistakenly placed on the negative side of the first battery instead of the positive or perhaps on the positive terminal of the “second” battery (which electrically is the same as the negative of the first battery). When that happens, the first battery is still in the load while the cart is running, but not in the charge circuitry. So, it just keeps going lower and lower with each usage, and never gets recharged. A new battery might even live through it for a few dozen cycles (2 or 3 weeks), so that could be why the new battery resolved the problem for a while, but not for long. It’s worth looking into. I had carts come into my shop with that problem several times. Good luck, Ron.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
Bingo! That leaves the first battery out of the charge circuit. I think you have found your problem. I accidently did that once on a customer’s cart and by the time he could convince me he really had a problem, and got me to come out and take a look, he had ran it long enough to ruin the first battery altogether. That was an expensive mistake on my part (of course I had to replace it for free). Thank goodness, the rest of the batteries made it though the ordeal. They were of course, being charged with too much volt with only 5 batteries in the circuit. Experience is a dear (and sometimes expensive) teacher. Ron.