2008 Club Car Surges When Moving

Clubster

All,
Need some help. I have a 2008 Club Car Precedent 48v that surges when moving. I just replaced my mcor II trying to fix a surging problem. I have 4 2016 batteries. The weird part is it seems like the frequently I use it the less I have the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Usually when they surge is if there's a problem with the MCOR. I'm not sure but it could also be the speed sensor on the motor. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Clubster

Well crap, the speed sensor didn’t work either. My hope is that it’s not the batteries. With that in mind, how can I test them?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Hook a multi meter to the main positive and negative battery posts and see what the voltage is. Then drive the golf cart to see how low the voltage drops. You can also hook the meter to one battery at a time and do the same thing without unhooking any cables to test each battery. Post the results and we will have a good idea on the condition of your batteries.

Clubster

Just ran some tests, here are the results. Pre ride battery bank was 48.7. Battery 1 10.00 v, battery 2 12.89v, battery 3 12.90v, battery 4 12.90v. Post ride battery bank was 48.3. Battery 1 9.94v, battery 2 12.77v, battery 3 12.76v, battery 4 12.73

Clubster

I checked all the batteries, all were down but the lead was covered. I filled them up to make sure, but of course I ran out of distilled water. Would it hurt to just change one battery at a time?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Changing one battery only will work but if the batteries are older you're better of changing them all. If you have a golf cart shop in your area I would check to see if the have a good used battery to replace the bad one with. The 12 volt golf cart batteries on average only last 4 years so if yours are close to that it would be best to replace them all.

Clubster

can I get some help on new battery brands? I really don’t know what is a good battery. Is there a budget friendly make and model that is good?

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
Trojan is the way to go if you plan on keeping the cart a while. As long as you properly maintain and charge them they will outlast other brands.
Batteries is definitely a thing you get what you pay for.