2007 Bad Boy Buggie with 2 Sevcon Controllers Not Moving

BBB Nightmare

Hello, I recently bought a 2007 Bad Boy Buggy and have been trying to to figure out why it's not moving. I load tested all the batteries and they were good. When I turn the key on I get 48 volts to the two contactors and the controllers. The contactors seem to be working as they should. One controller is showing a green LED light flashing 4 times and repeats this sequence, The other controller is showing a green LED light flashing 6 times and repeats this sequence until I switch the F/R switch, at which the LED light flashes 2 times and repeats this sequence until I turn off the key switch. The controller flashing 4 times is not effected by the F/R switch movement. The number on the sevcon controllers is 633T45320. Pressing the accelerator pedal had no affect on the controller flashing lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BBB Nightmare

2 flashes mean "illegal start condition"
4 flashes mean "contactor fault or motor open circuit"
6 flashes mean "accelerator fault"

BBB Nightmare

2 Flash Illegal start condition Various The wire harness controller connector pins may develop an open or intermittent connection which can also result in these faults. Check Pins and Crimps. 7 Seat switch not closed on direction select or accel depress (when equipped) 8 Accel switch (pedal) needs to be recycled after a direction change. 9 Pedal depress when key turned on 10 Wiring fault - two directions selected 11 Forward/ Reverse switch turned on at power up 11 Speed switch out of adjustment (see section 3) 11 Micro switch not open with pedal up 3

BBB Nightmare

4 Flash Contactor Fault or Motor open circuit 19 Contactor failed or stuck. Bench test contactor. 20 Main post to battery corroded. 20 Test switched side of contactor 20 Test 24 Volt small terminal coil (verify correct coil voltage)

BBB Nightmare

6 Flash Accelerator Fault 4 Input wire disconnected (white/ black Lead) 5 Speed (Pot Box) adjustment needed (see section 3) 5 Pedal depressed at Power up (see 2 flash)

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I would start by looking at the throttle voltages that could give you a lot of those codes

BBB Nightmare

Thank you. I have no idea on how to check the voltage at the throttle. There was a throttle retro fit done on the bbb because of early issues with the cart taking off on its own. I checked with the person I bought the bbb from and he said that after the throttle retro fit was performed that the cart ran as it should. He told me the cart sat up for about 6 months and he took it to a dealer and the dealer said it needed 2 new controllers. I am not too sure the controllers are bad and don't want to put that expense out and have the cart not function properly. Can you give me some direction on how to check throttle voltage? Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

BBB Nightmare

Can you tell me what type of relay I need to take the 12 volts from the key switch and transfer the 48 volts to the contactors and controllers? Thanks in advance for your efforts.

BBB Nightmare

The schematic on your web site shows a 48 volt relay that the 12 volts from the key switch activates. I don't know it you can activate a 48 volt relay coil with the 12 volts. I am not very good at this but I can understand the schematic, I think.

BBB Nightmare

I guess what I'm asking is can I take a 48 volt relay and feed 12 volts to the coil and have it contact 48 volts on the contact side.

Diode

No you use a 12-volt solenoid because they're talkin about the coil and you get one that can handle 48 volts at the current that you need to run through it but it sounds like you want a relay to run a solenoid and that's not necessary because that's what a solenoid does it's just a relay

Diode

Plus I have not looked at this schematic but most golf carts the key switch is 48 V

BBB Nightmare

OK but the sevcon schematic 2, shows 12 volts at the key switch and the use of a relay to supply the 48 volts to the 2 main solenoids and to the #1 pin on the sevcon controllers. That's the relay I am talking about. The relay coil is magnetized/energized with the use of the 12 volts from the key. That relays contact connections make and break the connection to the solenoids and controllers.

BBB Nightmare

This Bad Boy Buggy had 48 volts at the key that went directly to the 2 solenoids. For some reason, when I started to trouble shoot the unit, the key switch burned out after a short while. When I viewed the schematic, I was thinking that may have been the reason.

BBB Nightmare

The relay that I am referring to if fused downstream not to exceed 5 amps @ 48 volts. It is just part of the control wiring, I believe.

Diode

You need to get a meter and Trace those wires out you might have a short a bad solenoid coil on and on. Maybe just a wire with a fuse