2006 EZGO TXT Golf Cart Backfires

RDF-KY

Hi This is my first post. My 2006 EZGO TXT golf cart backfires alot if you are on the throttle all the way for a extended amount of time. Also, it backfires if you are going down a hill, and you are giving it some gas. It also backfires more once the engine is warm. Any advice on how to fix my problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Has the governor been adjusted? It sounds like your hitting the rev limiter. The valves may need to be adjusted also. You should also check the throttle cable adjustment an make sure the butterfly in the carburetor opens just after the engine is cranking on the starter and is closed just before the throttle pedal is fully released.

RDF-KY

Nothing had been done before. I checked the value adjustment and they were .006". I did adjust the governor and it has almost stop all backfiring.

divot61

What year is the cart? Does it have a hour meter on it? Like HotRodCarts suggested, readjust the valves when the engine is cold. Take your time, this is a very delicate part of the engine and it has to be correct , and make sure the feeler gauge has a slight resistance inbetween the cam and rocker arm, try .004 feeler gauge. Keep us posted on your progress, I'm sure all of us can help you out with this problem.

mopower

Valve adjustment is touchy. If the valve adjustment gets tighter after short run time it may be time to rebuild the head. Rockers get grooved and valves begin to sink in the seats.
.004 is what EZGO calls for in the service manual but I've found my golf cart seems to run better setting the valve lash at .006 like was recommended here on Cartaholics. :yes: