2006 Club Car Precedent Only Goes 2 Miles on a Charge

matthew.munao

Bought a 2006 Club Car Precedent (electric/48 volt) 2 months ago, dealer said the batteries were brand new. I have upgraded the lights to LEDs and added a lift kit with tires. Recently the cart has been dying after about 1 1/2 miles and the battery indicator goes from full to 1-2 bars from dying. I put a voltmeter to the batteries and it shows 50.6 after charge. I ran the cart past the 1 1/2 mile mark again and the lights dimmed and the cart about died. Got it to the house and checked the volts again and it said 40.2, but as I waited I saw the volts increase up to 48. Any ideas would be awesome, thanks

Matt

Tom47

Cartaholic
50.6 volts is only 93% charge. A full charge will read 50.93 volts. 48 volts is a dead pack.

Check individual battery voltage also. Each one should read 8.49 volts if fully charged. As SCS said, you may have one defective battery. This will let you know if you do.

Check each cell with a hydrometer if you have one available. They are cheap and give a good indication of cell health and longevity. See if all are in the green range.

What is the date code on the battery? Often dealers will put batteries in a cart that are serviceable and are "new to the cart", but are not really new.

Check your electrolyte level and add distilled water if not 1/4 to 1/2" above the plates. Add water after the next charge if needed, then drive it as far as you can and see if there is any difference in range.

I would recommend installing a digital dash voltmeter so you can monitor the voltage as you drive.

TimeBurner

If one or more of the batteries are not holding a charge, try a desulfator before you decide to replace them. I have a NOCO Genius 10, and it brought my old lead-acids back to life.

I advise anyone with lead-acid batteries to own one anyway. It will pay for itself if you can restore function to even one battery. It won't help if a battery is defective, but it will at least indicate if a battery is defective.