2006 6.0 Power Stroke

Keyguy

Overworked, underpaid :o) R.I.P.
Anybody else have a 2006 6.0 Power Stroke ?
All comments appreciated, good, bad or otherwise.

Jimmy B.

fatboy99

Ok Where To Start!! As A Former Ford Diesel Specilast . Injector's Fail Constantly, EGR Valves Coke Up And Stick, Same With The Turbo, High Pressure Oil System Problems ,Wiring Chafing ,Blown Head Gasket's .The Engine Was Only Designed To Last 250000 Miles If Your Lucky !!! Find A Good Low Mileage 7.3 And Chip It !! I Dont Miss Working On Them One Bit From What I Hear From My Friends At The Dealer The 6.4 Isnt Panning Out Any Better
Brad

Keyguy

Brad,
I read numerous horror stories about the early 6.0's on the net.
I also read that "most" of the problems were ironed out by 2006.
Does what you say apply to the '06's also?
TIA,
Jimmy B.

fatboy99

Jimmy
The Design Changes Didnt Realy Help. The High Pressure Pump Coupling Was Redesigned And Had A High Failure Rate. Still Had Lots Of Injector Issues .They Came Out With Software Updates To Help With Popet Valve Sticking Issues But Havnt Heard If That Helped. If The Truck Your Loking At Is Close To 100,000 Miles Run Dont Look Back !There Warrentyed For 3 Years 36,000 Miles Bumper To Bumper The Engine Is Coverd For 5 Years 100,000Miles With A $100.00 Dectuable But Some Fuel System Componnets Are Not Coverd . If The Truck's Were Used Like Second Car's They Didnt Seem To Have Much Trouble. But The Truck's That Were Used To Haul And Work Like A Truck Is Supposed To Be Then It Had Problems !
Brad

Keyguy

fatboy99,
Thanks for the info.
It has 26K on it and was a "personal" vehicle.
Jimmy B.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've seen that Ford video on ChevyTruckWorld LMAO... The fire breathing Ford... That baby doesn't sound so good either...

Fairlane

I have 3 F350's for work trucks. 1 is 04 2 are 06 The 04 has had some trouble with the EGR and turbo. The 2 06's have been trouble free. they have welders and boxes on them and weigh around 12,000# My personal truck is a 99 F350 crew cab long bed and is used for towing my toys. It has 120,000 miles and a hypertech programmer is used. No problems with the 7.3 and it pulls good enough for me. My neighbor has a 7.3 with 300,000 miles and it runs great.

Glen

Fairlane

I have a nieghbor that has a Duramax and it had some inj pump trouble and sat for a couple months trying to fix. Most of the time you only hear of the trouble and not the ones that go on forever. You can get a bad one in any flavor. Personally, I have had good luck with the Fords. I'll stay with them until they prove me wrong.

Glen

WALKNTALL

I'll say it again, damn nice truck Jimmy!

140,000 miles on mine, it's been overloaded and driven to both coasts, been in the shop once for a small oil leak. Like Glen said, if it ever gives me trouble, its gone. But I couldn't ask more out of a truck.

Frank

Fairlane

You have a nice ride there. I like the color. You'll love it. Here is my 99 with 120,000 miles and no trouble yet. It may blow up the next time I drive it but so far so good. Sometimes it's too long for parking but it tows good.

Glen

fatboy99

Good Looking Truck Keyguy Helpful Hint If You Change Your Own Oil Loosen The Cap On The Oil Filter All The Way Up Before Draining The Pan If Ya Do It After Youll Dump 1 Qt Dirty Oil Back In The Pan It Takes 15 Qts 15W40 Oil. Snap On Has A Great Socket That's Double Ended Will Do The Oil And Fuel Filter's. Fairlane Nothing To Worry About If You Do Your Maintnance By The Book You Can Get 600,000+ Miles I Had A Customer Thad Had A 7.3 In A E350 Expediator Van Had 625'000 On It Still Ran Great He Got A New Van Cause Ge Got Tired Of Staring At The Same Dash For 5 Years !
Brad

Keyguy

Thanks for the comments and advice!
I think it's like anything else, if maintained correctly it should last a long time.
Thanks again,
Jimmy B.

Fairlane

thanks, fatboy. I use Rotella-T 10w40 with Lucas oil conditioner every 3k-4k depending on the towing miles. Fuel filter every oil change and air filter as needed. I owned a trucking business when I was MUCH younger so I am not worried about it. I'm going to rebuild it when needed. Here in Az the body will last forever.

Keyguy, again I love that color, you don't see that many here in the desert. White is the color of choice. My buddy just bought an 06 new and it's fantastic. Good luck and enjoy.