2005 Yamaha G22E 48 Volt Dead in the Grass

itsmeheather

Okay I have a 2005 Yamaha G22E 48 volt golf cart, just bought it for 800$ the guy said it didn't run. Checked it over found a broken wire to tow/go switch. Paid the guy 800$ reached in jumped the switch and drove it on the trailer. The guy laughed said well :censored:! (few other choice words) and said "a deals a deal" shook my hand and away I went. Got it home charged it up fixed the wiring and replaced the tow/run switch. Took it out the our seasonal campsite where we drove it for 5 days with only one small issue. when the accelerator was pressed it had a slight hesitation. Brought it home after 5 days of driving. I went to drive it around the house to the garage and it just died. shut it off flipped tow/go switch nothing. no click

Checked the batteries right there each individual battery had 8.4v the series was 50.4. I thought well the math adds up we're all good there. so try again.... flip on forward...… Nothing. Like taking a basset hound for a walk, it ain't moving.

So I test the tow go switch in tow … 50.4 in nothing out.. I thought well that's good. Go 50.4 in and 50.4 out … I thought that's good too. lets try again.. NOTHING

Well lets test the solenoid.. big wire in from battery 50.4v.... little wire red 50.4 black wire 50.4 (this is were I scratch my head and swear cause I don't know poop bout this and its 92 degrees in the middle of the yard) I shrug cause my little 3amp fuse is happy. so I try again .. NOTHING.. so I test big wire out to controller.. Big Fat 0v … (more Cuss words) so flip switches, push pedals still 0v.. Ordered a new solenoid and guess what? Deja Vue… Repeated the whole process no click, 50.4 in and 0v out. replaced the stop switch too and it changed nothing.

What could it be? Would a bad potentiometer cause the solenoid not to kick in? Does a solenoid have a ground? it is mounted to a metal bracket... My dad always told me you can have all the power in the world but with no ground its useless... Help!! my basset hound just sits on the seat staring at me with evil eyes cause his massive hover round stopped going.

Zman

Cartaholic
Okay lets start with simple stuff, power thru key? yes go to start stop switch, power thru switch? yes go to directional switch. power on yellow wire in one position and power on white wire on other direction? yes go to controller and find black with red tracer wire from start switch. is there power into controller with pedal depressed? get back with us on results.

Zman

Cartaholic
Also , i assume you have power on both small terminals of solenoid. Red with black , or just black wire should lose voltage with pedal depressed. git back with us on results

itsmeheather

Thank you, I wrote all my finding in bold below.

Okay lets start with simple stuff,
power thru key? KEY OFF... 50.4 on red with yellow tracer - 0v on red with white tracer. KEY ON...50.4 on red with yellow tracer - 50.4v on red with white tracer
yes go to start stop switch, power thru switch? 50.4 on both no change with pedal pressed
yes go to directional switch. power on yellow wire in one position 50.4v and power on white wire 50.4 on other direction?
yes go to controller and find black with red tracer wire from start switch. is there power into controller with pedal depressed? 50.4 with out the pedal pressed get back with us on results.

both small terminals from solenoid are 50.4.

Zman

Cartaholic
start stop switch should not have voltage on both wires with pedal up. that will cause HPD or high pedal disable function. double check it is not shorted or out of adjustment.

Zman

Cartaholic
So you need inputs to turn on solenoid, look at diagram, turn off tow run, remove connector from controller, turn on tow run switch, make sure the foot switch, f&r voltages , key power on, solenoid ground circuit, all have power to connector, if so i suspect the controller is bad. i have seen motor brushes go bad but solenoid should click when pedal pushed down and that will only happen if controller commands it.

Attachments

• yamaha_g19e_wiring_diagram.gif
    yamaha_g19e_wiring_diagram.gif
    99.1 KB · Views: 26

itsmeheather

Okay so I got a new alltrax controller all hooked up pushed pedal to go no solenoid click and its jerky and super super slow. Controller flashed one green and 2 red for battery undervoltage. Checked battery voltage and its fine 51.8v. I just dont get it. Everythings been checked and rechecked all good.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Well apparently I posted in the wrong place that post does not go there hmmmm

Zman

Cartaholic
So battery under voltage means controller sees lower voltage input. does solenoid click now and you you get the the code or is it still not clicking on.
Is there a pre-charge resistor across the big posts on solenoid?

Zman

Cartaholic
I mean is there a diode on small terminals of solenoid, and is it installed with the gray band to the red wire side of solenoid?