2005 Yamaha G22 Golf Cart Clutch Problem?

Aaronj14

I recently bought a used 2005 Yamaha G22 golf cart. It didn't take long before it stopped working with a possible clutch problem. When I put it in forward or reverse the cart will slowly lunge a little bit at a time. But with any incline it will not go anywhere. I'm guessing it is something with the clutch. But I didn't know if I need to replace the drive and the driven clutch. or if this is just a drive clutch problem? As a new owner (and not a super handy person) I would welcome any help! Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does the golf cart ever get up to speed? Or just slowly lunges? Are you sure the engine is actually running or is it just moving on the starter? If the engine is running jack the rear of the cart up and see if the drive belt is traveling in both clutches like it should. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Aaronj14

Thank you for the reply, that is very helpful. The cart does not get up to speed. It just slowly lunges. And you're right, the engine is not actually running. Would that mean that the problem is likely electrical? (the battery does look fairly new).

Aaronj14

some additional information (in case it helps). the cart died while I was driving it. I just put my ear next to the solenoid and I could hear a click.

Aaronj14

Thanks. I'll give those a try. I did install a new spark plug (after it stopped working) as part of a pre-planned tune up.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Let us know it it's getting spark. If it is pull the gas line off at the carburetor and crank it over on the starter and see if any gas is pumping to the carburetor.

Aaronj14

Thanks. I’ll clean the carburetor, then figure out how to empty the gas. If that doesn’t work I’ll probably have to hire someone

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the gas is good and it's getting to the carburetor, it has good spark and the butterfly in the carburetor is opening and closing when you press the throttle then the next step would be a compression test.

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
Try a shot or 2 of starter fluid or carb cleaner in the intake. If you hear it attempt to start its a fuel problem. If not its spark or compression.