2005 Club Car with 2014+ Controller Only Goes 8MPH

cdrobbins

I bought this cart with this issue hoping to fix it. The previous owner said the dealer diagnosed it as a bad motor. The cart accelerates perfectly fine, but then tops out at around 8mph. I replaced the speed sensor with a new OEM sensor. I did the speed sensor push test and it fails. It's not recognizing that the cart is moving. Would having a newer model controller cause any issues. The controller is model 1515-5206 part number: 103982301

Any direction on how to diagnose what's causing this issue would be apprecitated!

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Find out why the speed sensor is not working before spending out on a new controller. It may just be a broken connection or damaged wire. Check that out first, then come back for details on testing the sensor and voltages etc. Also, where did you get the new sensor from. If its a cheap one, you may have just replaced a bad one with another bad one. Just because it was advertised as OEM does not necessarily mean it is. Ask us how we know !!!!!

cdrobbins

I'll check those and get back to you. I bought a cheap speed sensor off Amazon first. Attached is the one I have installed now. OEM?

Attachments

• oem-speed-sensor.jpg
    oem-speed-sensor.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 5

cdrobbins

Go to my website and use Zelle
I've tried sending payment several times. Can you send me a request?
Darron Robbins
Used Black Controller speed code 5 for 2005 Precedent IQ
1068 Valley View Dr Santaquin UT 84655
Zelle Account:
[email protected]
801-592-9172

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230503_091747.jpg
    Screenshot_20230503_091747.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 7

cdrobbins

Update: I've traced the wires to the speed sensor and they aren't broken. I replaced the controller with the correct controller for this year cart.(Thanks to Diode for helping with that).

Now when I connect the batteries, it still fails the speed sensor test and the resistor is getting hot with it in RUN mode. I've included pictures if anyone can tell me if this all looks to be wired up correctly.

What makes the resistor get hot?

Attachments

• resistor.png
    resistor.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 5
  • wiring.png
    wiring.png
    325 KB · Views: 5

cdrobbins

Find out why the speed sensor is not working before spending out on a new controller. It may just be a broken connection or damaged wire. Check that out first, then come back for details on testing the sensor and voltages etc. Also, where did you get the new sensor from. If its a cheap one, you may have just replaced a bad one with another bad one. Just because it was advertised as OEM does not necessarily mean it is. Ask us how we know !!!!!

If the resistor gets hot then it's probably a bad controller.
The controller is the one you sent me. Was it not a tested good controller?

cdrobbins

Yes it was tested. It was actually taken off of a working car that I drove into the shop and remove the controller.
Ok. What else do you think might make that resistor get hot just by connecting the battery? Speed test still fails too. I didn't dare try driving it when I smelled that hot resistor

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Pretty much nothing the motor might be bad which could cause the controller to go just send it back. I'll refund your money.