2003 EZGO Slows Down On Hills

nads67

I've got a 2003 EZGO that slows down on hills, driven clutch has been changed, valves adjusted, carb changed, spark plugs are good, the belt is good. When I drive it without the seat on I can see the belt engaged but when I get to a hill the drive clutch doesn't seem to stay fully engaged, meaning the clutch will spread open instead of keeping the belt high on the clutch, is this why I'm losing power?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If the driven clutch is staying closed, meaning that the belt is riding high in the pulley, then the cart won’t have the gearing to pull hard on hills. When the cart starts going uphill and slowing down the drive pulley should be open and the belt should be in the bottom of the pulley and the driven pulley should be closed and the belt should be on the top of the pulley. I would also do a compression check on both cylinders. Belt size could also be an issue.

nads67

The belt is on the bottom of the drive clutch going up hill and at the top of the driven clutch but no power. Compression is around 130 for both cylinders.

nads67

Also with the rear end of the ground I can hold either rear wheel while cart is running in gear is that normal?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If you have adjusted the valve lash (.006- exhaust, .004-intake), done a compression test (throttle open) and you still only come up with 130 then you are probably right about a tired motor.