2003 EZGO Needs To Be Choked To Start and Surges at Medium Speeds

classicman

Hello all, Glade to be here. Well I have a 2003 ezgo txt that I just bought. The motor sometimes has to be choked just a little to start when cold. The cart runs really good at full throttle but if you try to run at a say medium speed the cart just wants to jump or say surge like you are pressing and releasing gas. It seems not to kick in to climb small hills. I have read on here alot about linkage ajustment. I have worked on alot of cars in my day but carts i have no idea. how do you adjust the throttle linkage? should the butterfly move on carb when gas pedal is pressed not running? I do know the guy that owened this before had it licensed and drove it in his neighborhood. It is almost like it is at full throttle when you hit the gas. I am going to use it for camping and would like for it to run more like factory. A little extra speed would not be bad but at a camp ground the way it is would not be real good because you are not going full speed all the time. Any help or ideas would be great i just need a place to start and maybe a little help on the way. The cart does have lift kit and alot of extras on it if that matters. Thanks

ps- Great site

classicman

Ok I have adjusted the valves as per this site to .006 more for long runs.(camping) changed the spark plugs. Blew out air filter because no one around here is open on sunday to purchase. Still runs the same way. Anyone here have any ideas?

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Howdy classicman.
tip.gif
If it runs fine at wot then I would think maybe trash in the carb. How does it run at very slow speeds?

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Nix that last one. I jacked the gov. up on my RXV and it does exactly what you are saying. I can't for the life of me remember the adj. on a TXT. Someone will be along shortly...
tip.gif

classicman

Thanks dirtysouth for the reply. I am leaning more and more toward throttle linkage or gov. What i am trying to find out for sure is if the carb should move with the cart off pressing the gas peddle. This one does not move at all. The flap does not move that i can tell. any help would be great.

classicman

Thank you HotRodCarts for the reply. I have searched and searched and could not find that on the site. Yes i think that link will help greatly. With the key turned off and I press the gas to the floor I see no movement at the carb. at all. The butterfly does not move at all. So you are saying there should be movement at carb with the key turned off and pressing the gas. could it be the throttle cable is not even moving for some reason. I dont know how these things are set up but I will before I am done. Will get to this mon. evening and will report back my findings. Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the butterfly should move when you press the pedal. Yours may be out of adjustment or you may have a bad cable.

classicman

I could not stand it. Had to go out and look. That is for sure were the problem is. When I press the gas the govener barely moves and the throttle cable going up front to the butterfly does not move at all. I can pull the butterfly cable and make the butterfly move easy. When the gov. is all the way counter clockwise the throttle cable is unreal loose. How much should the gov. travel from start of throttle to full throttle. Right know it only moves about a 1/4 inch. That can't be right. what do you have to do to remove the cover back there? I won't be able to work on it until monday but I know it is in that area. Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The link I posted should give you everything you need to get close to factory settings and get the cart running like it should. Once you get there then you can tweak the governor.
If the cover has never been taken off you need to drill the rivots out that hold it on

classicman

I messed with it some tonight with what time i had. I see on the link that Hotrodcarts gave me to adjust acc. cables first then govener nut. This thing is all jacked up. The nut on cable behind governor only has about 1/4 of an inch of threads showing past nut. Nothing like what is in the picture. The spring actually has free play between the stop and nut. The cover had not been taken off. Do i need to set the governor spring to factory setting before i adjust the throttle cables? If I do What does this mean? per link below.
Pre-adjust the governor compression spring by rotating the nut until a dimension of 2 1/2" is achieved between the back of the accelerator cable bushing and the outside of the cup washer.
Does this basically mean the spring is 2 !/2 inches long? The bushing being what holds the spring in the front and cup washer being what is right in front of nut?
I tried doing it the way it was when I got the cover off and i got backfire from motor. I don't think I had the governor all the way counter clockwise though. so I have everything loosened back up now for tuesday.
I really need to know if governor spring needs to be set to factory setting before adjusting acc. cables. The way it was when I got the cover off pushing the throttle all the way to the floor would not move governor rod and of coarse the throttle plate did not move. Thanks

classicman

I tried again tonight to adjust the throttle cables. It is like there is not enough adjustment to get all to work. could the governor spring be bad? When I push the gas paddle the spring compresses alot but hardly moves the governor and that is adjusted to end of threads. How long should the spring be off of the rod. Is the fuel plate (butterfly) spring the only return there is for this set up? I really need help on this it is going to drive me crazy. We just got the cart and are suppose to go camping this weekend for a BBQ grill off. Anymore help would be great. I need something to go on so I can go back out and work on it. I am trying to search for things on here but seem not to be having any luck. Thanks

classicman

Quick question and I will get some pics. Is the accelerator cable bushing suppose to actually hold the cable from coming thru the governor bracket? The pic on the post about adjusting the governor looks like it is held by the bushing also?

classicman

Well that cable was not the problem but the other one was. The one going from the governor under the motor to the butterfly. It runs real good now. (Factory settings) I will do some more tweeking on it after the weekend. I still have to choke it a little when I first start it cold. Thanks everyone for your help. It makes it nice when you have people to help you. Wanted to post back incase anyone else has the same problem. Well I know more about golf carts now than I did a few days ago. Thanks again.

Henderson356

Hi, I am having the same problem. Did you have the replace the cable going from the govenor to the butterfly.
Thanks for your help