2002 EZGO TXT

dwatkins

i'm rookie to the golf cart world, but now have a 2002 EZGO TXT Gas Cart and love it. Looks like there is some expert advice here. My cart does not fire up all the time and i have to use the choke (like a power boost) even when warmed up. I have adjusted the valves to .06, cleaned the carb (thoroughly), K&N Air Filter and replaced throttle and accelerator cables. The cart guru at my local course took the rear end apart and said my governor was out of wack, but was able to put it all back in line. Of course it seemed to run "OK" until he left and then it was back to the same unresponsive throttle and having to choke it constantly. I"m just not getting any consistency out of the throttle. 1/4 throttle, full throttle, it seems all the same. Any tricks of the trade or suggestions. I really need a cart the runs good for my family and I.
wallbash.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif
usaflag1.gif

well if the governor or linkage was out of adjustment the choking would not improve the performance, have you checked the compression?

dwatkins

compression is good. Seems to be starving for fuel. Just bought new carb and fuel lines and going to install this weekend. What are the adjustment screws on the carb. One at the throttle to adjust up or down and one adjusts a pin up and down into the main opening on the carb. what are these for?

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
couple of things come to mind... when you say compression is good what are you thinking is good????

if its strarving for fuel then it would run better when you pull the choke cable out,, not just while starting....

dwatkins

replaced the carb and things are coming together. The cart will idle when the gas is hit, but will only fire up when i lightly feather the throttle and try to find what seems like a sproratic SWEET SPOT. Are there any adjustments on the carb or throttle linkage that would cause it to do this. Once it fires up, it runs great, just frustrating to sit there and fiddle with the pedal until it fires up.

Bob-o

What you are discovering is that the car is not idling, rather it is cranking. Golf car's don't idle, the engine quits when you release the pedal. When you first press the pedal there is a microswitch which triggers the starter/generator to engage. As you continue to press on the accelerator the gas gets introduced as the butterfly valve closes (increasing the venturi effect).

What you are describing is basically that the golf car is working as designed. The older 295 engines were cold natured. The new-style carb (MCI engine carb) helps that some, but the cam is the cause of the cold nature of the engine. To start the car, you will want to press the pedal till you hear the starter/generator engage then pull the choke out. Don't floor the car but slowly press down until you hear the intake noise change to a slightly more throaty sound. Then back the accelerator off just a little.

As you own the car longer you will be more familiar with all the little things
thumbup.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Sounds like ground speed gov. You can gag the throttle at any speed, but the gov. Is gonna make it lag. As for the choking when warm, nature of the beast.
twocents.gif

Bob-o

Choking when cold?
biggrin.gif

I said the butterfly closes as you press down on the pedal
rotflmao.gif

I'm calling it dyslexic Friday bleeding into Saturday
thumbup.gif

To the OP, have you checked and/or made any adjustments to the accelerator cable? If the car hasn't been serviced in a while then all the little things may make a difference...in a good way

Bob-o

They shouldn't... when warm. That would be a good sign that the valves are out of adjustment. The book value was .004, but if you drive the car a lot you need .006 and that fixes a lot of the little issues. It can also mean there is a pin hole air leak somewhere, bad PCV hose, or even a governor arm that is hanging (not allowing the throttle to close all the way).

They are cold natured, but if you choke it when warm you either have modified the engine (as in go fast
thumbup.gif
) or something isn't set right...